Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I'm new to this site and thought I'd start off with a classic newbie 'hello' post! I'm fairly new to keeping fish and I'm finding the web to be an excellent source of information on how to keep fish and maintain a healthy aquarium. I'm hoping that being a member of this forum will help me along my journey to being an 'expert aquarist'!

So, who am I? My name's Anthony and im 24 and live in Bristol in the UK. I've always had a little bit of an interest in fishkeeping as when I was growing up my dad had 4 large aquariums. Though these were nice tanks, they weren't really my kind of fish - he kept fancy and unusual fish; pirranhas, angel fish, siamese fighters, BIG oscars etc... These fish, although nice to look at and probably quite interesting, didn't excite me and as i think you'll see i prefer mainly smaller and faster moving fish - which I find amazing to watch scholling around, especially when (thanks to great internet advice) the different species get along and swim around together! I also have a strange love of shrimp! I can happily sit and watch the shrimp plodding around the tank exploring every rock, nook and crannie (as well as tearing various plants to shreds!) for hours!

In my aquarium;

3 Neon Tetra
3 Cardinal Tetra
3 White Cloud Mountain Minnows
2 Gold Barbs
2 Cherry Barbs
1 Zebra Danio
1 Bristlenose Plec
4 Yamato Shrimp

I think that's all I'm going to have in my tank for now as everything seems very settled and happy, though I am tempted to get some different species of shrimp - I've seen some quite fancy ones - red stripes / bumble bee / glass shrimp - that i think could make a very interesting addition to my set up.

I have added all of the fish into the tank a couple at a time since January this year, and apart from a few unfortunate casualties, it's been good.

Casualties were where after a few weeks my first (smaller) aquarium sprung a leak along a seal down the corner, it was only a minor dribble, but scared the whole tank might have fallen apart i bought a new (bigger) tank. On night one of their move to the new tank it didn't have a hood as i had to buy it seperately and the shop had no stock. Three brave / stupid Zebra Danios made a desperate bid for freedom (or just really didn't like their new home) and were found on the floor in the morning :( Other casualties in the tank have only been plants - all the ones i have put in there have been torn to bits by fish and shrimp. However, i tried a different aquarium stockist near the city where i live and the VERY helpful guys there actually knew what they were talking about and advised me on plants that wouldnt taste as nice, and so far they're doing very well!!!

Anyway, (wow I think that's my longest first post ever!) that's about it and urmm... Hello :D

Ant x

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
Welcome to the board! I love small active fish as well. And enjoyed my shrimp colony for a year until a heat wave hit. There are so many small colorful shrimp, and they are very entertaining. Good choices on your tankmates.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Reactions: JIM

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Well now that we've completely derailed this welcome post, once again welcome to the site and Thanks for the long intro, thats the way we like em.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Welcome and I hope that we can let you know that we are very happy to have you here. I am happy that you have joined us here.

While we have all had disasters with our fish at one time or another, it is not something that is your fault. You just have to be able to move on and realize that it is their nature to jump.

I think it sounds like you have a very nice tank and hope you can post some pictures soon so we can see it.

Thank you for joining us. I hope you will enjoy it here. Some of the nicest fish keepers I know hail from the UK. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Rose

Reactions: petlover516
1 - 9 of 9 Posts