Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a short note to introduce myself. I've been keeping fish for about thirty years. Always freshwater, and everything from native (South Alabama) to African's and Amazon natives. I prefer a planted tank. Always have.

I'm down to one 55 gal tank built into the wall between the living room and dining room. More on that in other threads.

I am a controls guy; worked as a controls technician for 20+ years; now I teach controls in a community college. So, my tank reflects my career.

Currently I am rebuilding the tank. I want to go to a heavily planted tank with lots of small fish. I am even thinking about going livebearers. I have tried the the more delicate with success but there is a lot to be said for hardy and colorful.

I'm glad I found this site, Nice to be here.

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
Welcome! I am tending towards the small fish myself these days. I have downsized my aquariums and found with several small aquariums I can keep a lot more nice commmunities with a variety of water quality requirements and temperments plus fit more fish into them. I'm sure you will enjoy the forum. And good luck with your tank rebuild.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks fishfinder. At this point its more about enjoying the view than breeding and perfect conditions. I woke up one day and wondered where the joy had gone.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Welcome. The nice thing about this site is you can always find someone that is interested in the same thing you are. We are so happy to have you here among us. We hope to get to know you better.

Rose

·
Registered
49 Posts
My father used to be stationed at Fort Rucker.
Are you onthat side of the state or over closer to Mobile.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My father used to be stationed at Fort Rucker.
Are you onthat side of the state or over closer to Mobile.
I'm just north of Mobile. Thanks for asking. Hey, I just noticed you are from East Ten. Anywhere near the Storytelling festival? Jonesboro I think? Great times there. Choo Choo city knows how to keep a tank or two ;) . Love that part of the country.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I get to work with some fairly cool toys. Temp, pH, Level, ORP, Conductivity, SG at work every day. I take samples in and test at the school. I use a simple level switch and thermometer in my tank. Its kind of funny. I have access to the test equipment that I dreamed of when I had a room full of tanks, now I'm down to one, and am not really interested in breeding. I will keep the plants happy though. I'm looking for critters green and otherwise, that match the pH and hardness here. Again, it keeps things simple.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts