Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a F8 puffer in a 10-gallon, and he is only 2", but fat and happy, and he is really putting a strain on the Penguin 125, which is much too small of a filter for this tank with his bioload. He makes a huge mess with his diet and I have to do PWCs of 50% every other day.

I want to upgrade the filtration but am not sure what would be the best thing - An AC 20? some sort of small canister? At some point as he grows he'll need a bigger tank, but for now I'd like to boost the filtration.

Suggestions?

TIA!

·
Cornelius
95 Posts
I have no answer to your problem, but those figure 8 puffers are really neat! I have never had a brackish puffer, but I may set up a 20 gallon just to get one now.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I would say a 20-gallon would be perfect. I am sure at some point I'll need it for him. You would not believe the gunk I pull up out of that tank every other day with the water changes!

He is a great companion for me while I work, and brackish is no trouble at all to manage.

I am leaning towards an AquaClear 30 (instead of the 20) but I will need to look at one and see if it will be too bulky from a visual standpoint, in which case I'll go with a very small canister and park it under my desk.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I agree. I would not use anything smaller than an AC30 on a 10gal. Its a great filter and if you upgrade in the future, you're set.
Also, its adjustable.. On the lowest setting it will still be more than your current filter is doing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts