Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 55 gallon planted aquarium.
Wanted to set it up as a planted tropical community tank.

Looked into Rams and was told many of them are compatible and are peaceful tropical community fish.

15 fish missing including neon tetras, glow light tetras and 1 beautiful betta.
Biggest fish are 3 Bolivian rams.

Anyone had problems with these fish?

Havent replaced the neons, not planning on it either until i can sort out this problem.

Wanting to get 3 Angels for my center piece fish also.
All help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can't be much help here, but I feel your pain, I kept hearing about rams being peaceful, but the couple that I bought terrorized my tank until I took them out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i dont know what to do.

I did a ton of research on all the fish i wanted to keep at the time. Everyone who i talked to about the Rams told me they would all work together and it would be an awesome group of fish. Well everything was terrific for about 2 months.
Feeding habits havent changed, entire tank is feeding on flake food.

Not sure when the feeding frenzy began but about a week ago i started looking over the tank and was preparing for a good cleaning. Noticed some missing fish, no signs of them!

Even a full grown Betta!

·
Registered
943 Posts
From what I have been told rams can be hit or miss on aggression. I would suggest building some caves for the rams and add some rock work if you dont already have some. I wouldnt add any neons because at least around here they dont do very well and they could end up a nice tasty snack for your angels and bettas dont normally mix very well with angels either IMO. What are the parameters (actual numbers) of your water. I have 24 Cardinals in with my 19 angels but the cards are decent size and the angels are small like dime to nickel size. I added a couple pics for you to see oh and I have a mated breeding pair of Double Red Cockatoo Apistos with no problems. I know I am over stocked but will start thinning the angels out over the next 2-4 months.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I had blue rams for a while and they even spawned for me, I had them with gourami's, guppies, and some others. The rams used to go around intimidating but never nipped any others. I my experience they would nudge and thats it, they were overall very peaceful. On a side note, I just the other day had 2 betta's disappear without a trace in atank with goldfish, flagfish, and guppies.
Ive never had bolivian rams but the blue were great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bolivian rams seem to be a bit more aggressive than the German Blues, still I have never known them to kill any fish. You may want to look in to other things with your tank like water quality. Angels can be very aggressive towards smaller fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts