Aquarium Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well thats the largest price chunk of all, and if temps are way to high I can always tackle the situation there and then and buy the chiller. And having summer temps inside around the 90 deg fehrenite, I think I should consider fish on the higher tempreture spectrum if I wont be getting the chiller.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I am not sure this will be enough but having like a 6 inch clip fan blowing across the sump will do wonders at cooling, dont run glass tops as they hold in the heat and I am not sure if you will be running a wood canopy or open top with a fixture so if a canopy install a couple 80-120 mm fans and if open top a nice clip on fan blowing across the top. I dont know if you said or not but will this be fish only and remain that way or will it be a reef because that could effect the lighting and chiller.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
For now I definetly think it will be fish only thank. I'll see how things progress, then reavaluate after some time. Most probably will remain a fish only. I will definetly be running an open back canopy, a few 120mm should be relativly easy to install.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I would only run 2-3 foot bulbs and 2-18 inch bulbs with one of each being a nice crisp daylight bulb and one of each haveing more blue in it. I am not sure I would get a chiller just yet as heat problems seem to have a much greater affect on corals and fish seem to be able to handle higher ranges of heat. I would use retro fit T-5 HO's and then if you move up to corals you could just add more retros at that time without changing your entire lighting. I think you could go with all 24 watt bulbs and they are only 22-23 inches and use something like these because I bet the qoute was probably for T-8's and the T-5 HO's are better lighting.

Sunlight Supply T5 Retrofit System & Kit

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok, then I will be back in contact with the shops.

Shall be removing the chiller for now, will go with a Sump instead of the mechanical filter. Reduce light fittings to 2 x 36" and 2 x 18".

And most importantly figure a way to get everything hidden in the little available are I have.

Shall be back in touch, thanks for all guys!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Excuse me for reviving an extremely old post.

To throw some history at this, the aquarium went through a lot of changes in as many years since its inception.

Community, planted, shrimp, and many variations in between, eventually ending up in a community mbuna if I can call it so as shown here - [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxYifjWwDds"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxYifjWwDds[/ame]. This lasted in this form with minor changes in stock for the last 3 years. Where last week a sustained heat spell, pushing water in the mid 30c for 2 weeks killed all the stock, except a 3/4 prince (in house fry).

Each year I tend to lose fish in the summer peak, worst was this year and in 2013 when I lost an entire stock of about 6 congos and most of a community in a 24hr period, which eventually led to the mbuna setup.

If you wish to contribute for the new setup, ideas welcome at http://www.aquariumforum.com/f2/new-project-need-ideas-103209.html#post695681

21 - 26 of 26 Posts