Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i just saw my aquarium and there i have 25 baby mollies and with them i saw a very small snail who is unkown and i dont know from where he came .please tell me an automatic growing of snails is it normal ,has it ever happened to you till now ,tell me what to do?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
IF you have put live plants into your tank, than you got some hitchhiking snail eggs. Nothing to worry about but if not kept in check they can overrun the tank. There are basicly 3 ways to control snails.

1. Baiting them on to a plate and remove them or snashing them on the side of the tank giving you fish a treat.

2. Add a product call Had-A-Snail which is a copper based solution

3. Get a snail eating fish

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi,
this is very probably a bladder snail - Physa sp. (good food rest eater, good algae eater) or a ramshorn snail Planorbis sp. (very pretty actually, good food rest eater).
Their eggs travel on aquatic plants.

If you go easy on feeding you won't have a snail population explosion.

Some good information on Physa fontinalis: Physa fontinalis english

Cheers
Ulli

·
Registered
48 Posts
They're self-fertilizing egglayers, so theoretically one single snail is sufficient to populate a tank.
When they find too much food they can overrun an aquarium, so if you feed too much they're pretty bad to have. On the other hand, uneaten food will spoil your water, so maybe they're not so bad after all ;).

And clearing off uneaten food is good for your water quality, ergo also good for your fish...

Sooo, basically good, with some strings attached ;).

Cheers
Ulli

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
:pics:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts