Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my 29 gallon tank fishless-cycling at the moment. I was using a rotting shrimp, but the smell was getting to me and I FINALLY found an Ace hardware store with the appropriate ammonia with no additives in it.

Ok, this is going to be disgusting, so I hope you aren't eating or have a delicate stomach....

When I took the shrimp in it's nylon baggie out, it was covered in a clear, jelly-like bacterial colony. I was MORE than happy to toss that.

But my tank has a peice of Mopani driftwood in it, and now my driftwood has globs of this jelly bacteria on it! It looks like it has blobs of snot all over it! *y2

There are NO fish so I'm not worried, just a little green around the gills looking at this stuff. :ISh_the_Fish:
I don't want to disturb the tank right now. My nitrItes just started this morning and my ammonia is beginning to fall, so I don't want to go messing with the tank, but what do I do to get rid of this stuff?

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
That jelly thing you're talking about reminds me of what happened when I put Grapevine "driftwood" in my tank. It's sap that leeched out of the wood which grew mold. Are you sure its Mopani driftwood? Mopani usually doesnt do that. You can get the wood out, scrub it, and then put it back in.... but the wood will still continue to leech sap and also.. it will eventually rot.. IF ITS GRAPEVINE. Double check on that type of wood.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's definately Mopani. Plus I've been soaking it for days before I put it in the tank, so I really its the same jelly-stuff from the shrimp that's now gotten on the wood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts