Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sawatdee Khrap....( Hello )

I'm Jeff, from Middlesbrough / London originally, been in Thailand last 4 years. At present, in the process of setting up a Betta fish farm but have had to put it on hold, due to the rainy season. I am lucky I have 2 large lakes either side of our home I rent and both are filled with Wild/Thai freshwater spieces including Giant Gourami's, Koi, Roach, Several Species of Catfish, Chub, Carp, and 5/8 ILB one's that look like Giant Pirahna's with teeth to match, also long snouted pipe like fish again with many teeth, locals call them aligator-fish, also many other species but not sure what they are. Will shot some Photos up soon, once I find my way around the forum.

If any of you Betta Breeders/Keepers need any Indian Almond Leaves, I have just gathered a load of freshly fallen leaves, prices are very reasonable and include postage via airmail from Thailand...PM if interested.

Right me off to see what the rest of you are up to on the forum...

Laeo phop kan na.....( See You Later )

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome aboard! Those lakes sound like a collectors dream! Would really love to see some pics!
Hi Media Hound,

Here's a couple of pics of the lakes, to wet your appeitite, more to follow.

This is where I live. As you can see I have a lake in my backyard...lol

The same lake but photo taken from other end.

This is the village lake, our house is to the right. This picture was taken in July before the rains come. Other the last month we have had a lot of rain, twice.....both the lakes broke there banks, I have pictures but need to shrink them in photoshop, at one point we had fish swimming inside the house.

Regards
Jeff

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
welcome, and why do we need those leaves? for betta breeders?Tim
Hi Tim...Just a bit of info regarding the leaves.

I was introduced to leaves by a couple of Thai Betta breeders. When the Indian Almond dried leaves are placed into the water, a strong brown dye is given off. The dye contains organic acids humic and tannins. The water darkens to a yellowish brown (tea-like color) after a few days, which is exactly the same as the Betta fishes' natural habitat. The changed water seems to harden their scales. It helps them heal wounds and ward off illnesses.

The humic and tannins from the Indian almond leaves also lowers the pH of the water, absorbs harmful chemicals and helps create a soothing and calm environment for the fish. The leaves can also be used to treat bacteria infection and help the Bettas recover from injuries. Some people also use them to increase breeding frequency. But be careful, because it also makes the male more aggressive at breeding time. On the other hand, it also helps the female recover from any wounds she receives during the breeding process.

I use one square-inch of leaf per half-gallon of water for individual fish. One leaf per 10-gallon rearing tank for the fry. One-leaf per half-filled 10-gallon breeding tank.

Regards
Jeff

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum Jeff. I think you found the hard way to observe the local fish. Hope this isn't a yearly occurance for you! Great pics by the way.
Hi Fishfinder,

Thats the only downfall living in Paradise, the rainy season. Will post more picks once I have shrung them.

Fanx's for the invite.

Regards
Jeff

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Heres a few Pics of the fish I have caught in the village lake. I have seen big fish in there and I saw a chap put something quite large into the lake the other month. I saw a decent roach missing its stomach on top of the water one day. Pity as we eat the roach when we catch them, as they quite big.

1. This is a Giant Gourami, that i caught in the village lake. Quite a docile fish, came right upto where I was fishing, had 2 rods out and one just in the water which I was n't using at the time, only took the bait on that one and it was off, good 15 minutes play.
We got flooded twice last month as both lakes broke their banks. Fish everywhere. Around our lake I have put wire-mesh to deter me dogs from getting over but theres about a 2" gap at the bottom. We lost quite a few from our lake when the floods came including this Giant Gourami, he must of went sideways through the gap. We managed to grab him in a net the first time he got out in the beck/river that runs down the side of our home, but the 2nd time he got out no one seen him. We got told later it was caught in a net further up the beck/river and need I say what happened to it.

2. This is a smaller Gourami in our lake. We have quite a few of these. If you look closely, you will see an orange bubble near its head, thats its fry. They protect them for about 2 weeks then the fry are left to defend for themselves. They stay in the ball, taken it turns, centre ones rise for air, they then return to the outside of the ball, then the next centre ones rise, they then return to the outside of the ball. This is done many times...Very clever.

3. This is a nice catfish, the Thais like to eat these, this one I managed to transfer into our lake.

4. Not sure what this is, but its my favorite from the village lake. I say it was some type of chub. It as a beautiful golden bronze colour. Caught a few of these and they are very tasty.

regards
Jeff

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
THANK YOU for posting those pictures!!! I get so tired of explaining that Bettas do NOT come from MUD PUDDLES. I got ejected from a Petco store one time actually for "discussing" the subject with one of their employees. Now does that lake look like a mud puddle to you? I LOVE THOSE PICTURES!!!! I thank you again for posting them.

I am a betta fanatic and believe in treating them like the tropical fish that they are.

I look forward to getting to know you better and welcome you to the forum.

Rose

1 - 10 of 10 Posts