Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Hello Nick, its a pleasure to meet you. Welcome to the site. I am sure you are going to like it here. Lots of friendly people and some very knowledgeable people.

What kind of fish do you keep. Post some pictures soon in our gallery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey...Thanks for the welcome. Quite honestly, my tank is 3 weeks in the cycling stage. I have pictures of course, because I've been documenting my journey. I have a wish list of fish/Coral that I would like to keep. I'll attach 2 pics here...1 is of my tank, *duh* and the other is of a hitch hiker mushroom. I'm worried about them (there are actually 2 of them), because as I said, my tank is still cycling, so I haven't even started adding any trace elements to my water, and I understand they need Calcium and a few more nutrients. But I do know, before I got him, I had no interest in mushrooms, but now I do...

·
WhisperinLoudly
49 Posts
*w2 Great find on the mushrooms. Now that you got em you'll like em. Are you testing your water during the cycle? You might have a problem with the shrooms during the ammonia and nitrite spikes. These 2 are the most toxic. What size tank is it? Whats on your wish list?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tank is a 55G. I have been taking my water parameters everday and I think my ammonia and nitrites are coming down. My wish list:
Blue-green Chromis
Pink Skunk Clown
Midas & Algae Blennys
And 6-stripe Wrasse
Bubble coral
Zoos
And now mushroom-ricodea (sp?)

·
WhisperinLoudly
49 Posts
Sounds like you have a plan. The chromis is a schooling fish and like to be kept in small schools of 3 or more-the skunks are one of the most peaceful of the clowns-be careful adding 2 different blennies, I have a lawnmower blenny in each of my tanks and they won't let me add another one. Their main diet is algae so if you don't have any you'll have to put in nori(seaweed or algae sheets) although mine eat assorted foods they still need algae. Now the 6 line wrasse, although I never had one I heard a lot of mixed reviews. Some say they never had a problem and some say they were a problem from day one. What I did get out of it all is to make sure you add the 6 line last after all other fish are settled in and get one smaller than it's tankmates.
Just thought I'd give you a little heads up on your list, but each fish has it's own personality, like what works in your tank might not work in mine. Research is a good thing, you never learn too much in this hobby.
what kind of lights do you have?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I was planning on at least 3 Chromis. I saw them at my LFS swimming together and it was a must have. They're beautiful. The Wrasse would be the last thing to add, I've already learned they can be bullies if they are introduced earlier on. My lights just arrived yesterday, I got a Odyssea 48" 260W Power Compact. It wasn't until after I ordered them that I saw that Odyssea has some mixed reviews. So far, my only complaint is that there were on instructions on how to install the legs on the stand. Although I don't even know if I want them on...

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Sounds like we will have a wonderful time watching and hearing of the wonderful journey you will have building your tank to its finish. Not that they ever really become finished totally but the final goal is always something to hope for. You sound like you are studying to do what is right for your fish and that is wonderful.

Congratulations on what is starting out to be a great and glorious adventure in one of the best hobbies in the world, IMHO.

Thank you for joining us.

Rose
:betta:

Reactions: RocBro

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Reactions: RocBro
1 - 13 of 13 Posts