Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a question asked of me on a different post made me wonder if anyone else has an interesting leaping fish story. A powder blue gourami was put into my 29g tank a couple of weeks ago. After the 24 hour lights off intro period I do with all my fish I opened the lid to feed the fishies there flakes. Well the gourami I had just added was VERY impatient and leaped out of the water at the food in my hand. fortunately my hand was only an inch or two from the tank and when I jerked out of reflex I knocked the gourami back into the tank. He jumped a good 4 or 5 inches. Does anyone else have any stories like this? Oh, I almost forgot, the gourami also spits water like an archerfish. he will get a drop of water two or three inches above the surface and hit the flake food while it is descending!

P.s. the gourami is now known as Jaws. If you want to know why then go to youtube and look for videos of great white sharks off of seal island. then you will understand ;). plus his teeth managed to cut one of my fingers when he hit my hand. lowering the water after that was quite an adventure, which I will tell later.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My Oscar does that. When I feed the tank with my hand he jumps right out and snatches at the food or he slaps the water with his tail, splashing me. If I feed them straight from the container though, he waits patiently...strange fish...:)

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
My female betta will stick her head out of the water to get the tubifex worms. But my dwarf gouramies that I had in the '80s never did that! Its amazing. You must feed better food ... lol.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Azul my first betta jumped out of the water and would take a nip at me if I did not get right to the food or peas when I opened the door but the one that really got me was Marty. Marty my third betta was a terror and would not allow anything but plants in his tank with him and one Apple snail. I made the mistake of taking a qtip and going around the edge of the tank one day while cleaning it and he grabbed it and pulled it out of my hands and shook it like a dog will shake a toy, doing the roughest version of the betta dance I ever saw.

Emma one of my females made the ultimate leap out the back of the tank through a 3/4" hole in the middle of the night and was dead the next morning when I found her.

One of my Angelicus Loaches leaped out of the tank somehow (covered tank I assure you) and died also during the night. I think it got out from the access hole for cords, it was the only way.

Rose

·
Registered
42 Posts
haha that oscar is saying "don't be dipping into MY food!" like you're eating it too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
LOL, I never thought of that...:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a dojo loach that would leap out of the tank by the filter output every few weeks. He did this about 10 times before we didn't find him in time...I also currently have a female betta who is an unholy little terror and will leap out of the water if she doesn't think you're giving her the food fast enough ^_^

·
Super Moderator
8,277 Posts
Ah the wonderful jumpers.My macrostomas have a glass hood.The hood is for a larger tank.It over hangs,but the ones for that size are too lightweight,as the macs LOVE to jump.I can hear them hitting the top from across the house.(They love roaches,lol.)I have a male though,plakat.He loves to jump for food too.Also had several females when in the spawning tank,couldnt be patient and would jump the divider,or out of the holding tank into the spawn tank.Needless to say,I now just put the females in without placing her in her own spot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts