Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have an 80g fw community (soon to be planted) tank that contain the following:

20 cardinal tetras
6 glass cats
5 cory cats
1 bristlenose pleco
2 fancy guppies
3 otos

I would really like to add a gourami. I have heard you do not want to keep 2 male gouramis together, as they may fight for territory.

My favorities are the Pearl and Dwarf Neon. Is it okay for me to get 1 male Pearl and 1 male Dwarf Neon Gourami, or will they fight for dominance? Not sure if the "don't get 2 males" relates to the same kind of Gouramis such as Pearls, or in general, only 1 male Gourami per tank.

Thanks.
T Fades.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Two male gouramis of any type will fight if they feel that they are crowded or their territory is threatened. (as they will also fight with bettas, bettas being a close relative) In a tank of 80 gallon with a lot of cover (plants, caves, driftwood and hidey places) you may be able to accomodate 2 gourami males with no real problem if they do not happen to want the same exact territory, but it is a really iffy chance and up to you. There are no warranties they will not have a conflict and as I would recommend to anyone, if you seriously want to have more than one semi-aggressive fish in the same tank, just be sure you have a back up plan for the situation if it does not seem to be working out. You are bordering on being totally full in that tank with the fish you have listed, so you may want to hold the new additions to a minimum to keep from overloading the tank. Good filtration and lots of real plants will increase the capacity to allow you to have a gourami but realize that more is not always better.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree with rose, you're pretty close if not overstocked in that tank but if you insist on getting a couple of gourami i would definately reccomend getting some of the dwarf species. Gourami are notorious for beating up each other over mating rights and territory disputes and your tank should be big enough for a couple dwarfs to get away from each other. Also it really depends on the individual fish, i've said this many times, some are more docile than others and may just get along without problems(good luck)but like rose said make sure you have a back up plan as they may continually go after each other to the point of death to one. I have 2 dwarfs in my community 55g and have had no real problems but what works for me doesnt always work for others and you may just get a male/female pair *w3 which is great fun watching the male built the bubble nest and gently place the eggs into it.*pc. good luck and keep us informed with your progress.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts