Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my first Cichlids **Updated with Pic**

I finished cycling a 20gal and decided to go with cichlids. Since i have never had any and they seem like great fish. I picked up a male/female pair of convicts. I know they breed like rats, thats kind of the reason i got them. And i heard they are very hearty fish, and i want my first pair of cichlids to be easy. No pics right now, dont have the digi cam. But they are a little over an inch big, so still babies. They are in a 20 gal tank with a little(for now) java moss. They already are showing great personality. They come to the glass when i enter the room, and i was very close to getting the male to take some bloodworms from my fingers. He backed off about 2 inches from the food. They have taken to each other very well already. They rarely are more than an inch or two from each other. I am buying a 55gal this week after payday for their future home. Cant wait till they grow a bit.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
a breeding pair of convicts are about the meanest fish that can be kept in aquariums. a breeding pair will killl anything else in the tank. be careful, and good luck!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a breeding pair of convicts are about the meanest fish that can be kept in aquariums. a breeding pair will killl anything else in the tank. be careful, and good luck!
thanks, i have read a lot about how aggressive they are when it comes to protecting their fry. It was a determining factor in getting them. They will always have their own tank too. Right now they are sharing the tank with a small shoal of cory cats. but there is plenty of places in there to hide for the cats and when the pair starts breeding i will prolly xfer the cory cats to a diff tank.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They seem to really like the java moss in their tank. They are always eating it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pic of the female, she likes the camera.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
another pic with the outside glass cleaned up.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Convict cichlids are great!! I had a friend who had convicts and angels... problem was Convicts don't grow as big as Angels in one year since they are small species of fishes I have heard..

Problem was the pair of cichlids got together and breeded and then the angels killed my convicts :(

But, if you have just convicts and nothing else. They SHOULD be fine. Just try and keep the water changes frequent and small every day. About once or twice a day is recommended. People do the same thing with angels when they have babies.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow, the angels killed the convicts, thats weird. Convicts can usually fend off and/or kill fish 4 times their size from what i have been reading and videos i have seen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts