Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a Rosey Barb for a couple of years. He became too aggressive so I moved him to a yard pond where he stayed until I shut the pond down and I gave him a second chance in a new tank I was cycling with a half dozen zebras. Strange, for the month he was in there he NEVER bothered the zebras which were 1/3 his size. When the new tank was finally ready I removed the zebras and put them all into another tank. I thought he would also do well with the small cichlids I used in the new tank. No. He immeadiately began chasing the smaller ones. I tried him in yet another tank and after two hours he had bitten off almost all the fins from a betta. He hadn't bothered any of the other species but the poor betta looks terrible now. That's the last straw. Last time I saw Rosey he was headead to his new tank in my back yard. UNDER my back yard, the septic tank. Can't say I didn't try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, not exactly...

No, actually I flushed him because he had been stressing out fifty other fish in three tanks over the year since he had become so aggresive. I was out of tanks and nobody I knew could take him. I actually didn't flush him, my wife did. I wanted to feed him to the cat. Never been called a troll before. I kinda like it!

·
Registered
134 Posts
You really didn't try your best at all. The least you could have done was do a Google search on Rosy barbs and you would have figured what was wrong and how to fix it so the rest of your fish weren't terrorized. WHY would you put a fish you KNEW was aggressive in with a betta?! What did you think would happen?

At the very least you could have given the poor fish to pet store. What you did was very cruel. Fish DO feel pain and fear, and that was a horrible way for him to die.

For any newbies to aquarium keeping reading along here, the moral of this story is to ALWAYS DO YOUR RESEARCH before you get fish so you don't end up with problems like this.

·
*blackback butterflyfish*
208 Posts
I've had a Rosey Barb for a couple of years. He became too aggressive so I moved him to a yard pond where he stayed until I shut the pond down and I gave him a second chance in a new tank I was cycling with a half dozen zebras. Strange, for the month he was in there he NEVER bothered the zebras which were 1/3 his size. When the new tank was finally ready I removed the zebras and put them all into another tank. I thought he would also do well with the small cichlids I used in the new tank. No. He immeadiately began chasing the smaller ones. I tried him in yet another tank and after two hours he had bitten off almost all the fins from a betta. He hadn't bothered any of the other species but the poor betta looks terrible now. That's the last straw. Last time I saw Rosey he was headead to his new tank in my back yard. UNDER my back yard, the septic tank. Can't say I didn't try.
Instead of flushing him you could have brought him to a lfs and they could have found a more suitable home for him. I took down a 55 gal tank and found foster homes for the smaller ones and brought the larger ones to my lfs, they gave me a small amount of store credit which i used to by food for my other tank. So maybe if you have a problem in the future, you could try that option. :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Or the 3rd option is to continue the circle of life and put him in the tank with a predator, feeding him to the cat might not be so great for the cat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts