Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some advice about establishing a cory rearing tank, as my green cories keep laying eggs everywhere in my 55 gallon tank. What kind of filtration, lighting, what size? I've never bred fish, but these cories are telling me I need to start.

I've heard they're pretty hard to breed, but I must have a lucky tank. It appears as though three of them are getting ready to lay more eggs. I also got to witness the t-shape spawning and watched one lay her eggs on the glass and ozelot leaves. They've also laid them all over my ammonia alert. *#3

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
As little as a 5 gal will do, use a sponge filter and airstone. When you remove the eggs it is best to dip a container into the tank and cut the leaf or any removable objects that they laid on into the container. That way you can keep the eggs wet.

In the rearing tank, have a thin layer of sand on the bottom and a small sponge filter. Put the leaf or such into the tank add an airstone in a position to where the bubbles are blowing on the eggs. Just a slight flow is needed there. Add some meth blue to the tank or add some cherry shrimp as they will eat any fungus that may collect on the eggs. If no shrimp and you see some fungus appearing, remove the fungused eggs as soon as possible with tweezers.

Once the eggs hatch they will have egg sacs which they will absorb for nutrition after about 4 or 5 days you can start feeding them live or frozen baby brine shrimp, or daphena or other small types of food. You must do a water change at least after every meal. Using a piece of airline is good for this. They must be feed at least 3 or 4 times a day for the first couple of weeks. Then slowly adjust their feedings to twice a day till they get big enough to go into the main tank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts