Diet
size
tank size
Etc.

·
Catch and Release
263 Posts
Regular goldfish flakes/koi-goldfish pellets

Varies on type of goldfish with size. Fantail about 6in. Regular comets can get as long as a foot. They do grow relatively slow.

I think you could get by with two regular or three fantail per ten gallon.

You can mix the two types.

Goldfish can get messy and if being kept in a tank, remember to buy small.

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
First goldfish minimum 15 gal, 10 gal each for every additional fish. That is with the fancy long fins. The standard goldfish will need more as they get bigger. Best not to mix them as the fancys are slower moving than the comets and will get less food.

Best for ponds, but get the biggest tank possible and the best filtration for putting them in the tank. Needs lots of water flow. Will eat any plants that you put in the tank.

·
Catch and Release
263 Posts
15 gallons is correct.

But is you buy small and keep the tank well maintained you can get by with a ten gallon.

I've kept 10 goldfish in a 35g with no problems.

You are correct, but if you need to work with whtat you have. The bigger the better, but small does work.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Eagle thats just wrong 10 gold fish in a 35gal..sorry thats way to small. Gold fish need alot of room they get big and are very dirty fish so water quailty is important for a long life. with Gold fish it more like how big of a tank do I have and then add the right number of fisah to that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yep................We have 5 small ones in a 40 gal and I have told my wife thats to many...I have always heard 20 gal for the first and 10 for every other.

Rick

·
Catch and Release
263 Posts
No, no, I'm not saying its right, I'm just saying that I had several in a samll tank with no problems. I don't think you should keep that many in a small tank. At the time I was about 12, so I didn't know any better.

Yes, it is always better to put them in a pond if possible. I wouldn't put small fish in a pond later than late-July, if you had winters dropping below freezing. They need to save up enough body fat to last through the winter. You could bring them inside for the winter, but we keep ours outdoors overwinter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Another thing to take into consideration is that your Goldfish can live from 5-10 years, so they are more of a long-term investment that other fish.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My dad is a new fish owner, and purchased 12 goldish (6 fantails and 6 comets) and 2 koi...
All he has left now is the runt of all the fish, a fan tail, and the runt of all the comets.
One of the koi actually jumped out of the tank (perhaps it was to small?) and he had many fish die at once.
But now that I see the two goldfish in the tank, I think most of the fish died out because of over crowding.
The two goldfish (comet is about 4" long, and fantail is 3.5" long.. both are about 2 inches wide in the stomach) are very happy and healthy. With a very healthy appetite.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oops! Forgot to mention that he had all the fish outside in a large pond during the summer.
And moved the reamining (2 Koi, and 7 gold fish) into a 30 gallon tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts