Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am a relative newbie to fish keeping so your advice will be heeded.

My girlfriend is 8 months pregnant, and I have always lived near the ocean, so naturally I decided to give our baby's room a fish/ocean theme!

To that end, I bought a 3 gallon aquarium kit at petcetera which included:
  • Tank
  • Light
  • under gravel air-powered filter
  • plastic 'rock'
  • fake plant

I also bought gravel, water conditioner/dechlorinator, Cycle (bacteria), and one of those siphon things.

I set it all up, then a couple days later I got a goldfish that I named Odin (may he rest in peace). Unfortunately, he only lasted 2 days. I did a bit more research and discovered that I should leave the tank to cycle for at least a week.

I changed the water (about 50%) because of the now-dead fish, waited a week and purchased Oedipus, and now he is gone with the same symptoms as Odin.

When I got Oedipus, I had the water tested at Pets Unlimited, and everything was good with a pH of 6.6, and no ammonia, nitrates, or nitrites.

The symptoms displayed by the fish:
  • holding dorsal fin close to body
  • lying on the bottom of the tank

I feel very guilty for causing the death of 2 fishes. Please help me give another fish a long, happy life!

-Cam

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update!

Oedipus is still alive! I posted that after I noticed him lying on the bottom of the tank but now he is swimming. Please Help!! I might be able to save him.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well it is going to take longer than a week to cycle a tank.Quickest i have seen a tank cycle is just over 2 weeks.Do yourself a favor and get rid of all chemicals and buy a bottle of seachems prime.It will do everything you need done.It removes the chlorine in your tap water and it fights off the ammonia,nitrite.To get rid of the nitrates you do regular water changes.Ok now for your tank.If the person that sold you a goldfish knew your tank was 3 gallon they need to find a diff job because they have no clue as to what they are doing.1 goldfish needs 10 gallon tank minimum.So you will need a bigger tank my friend!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are there any fish that I can put in the 3 gallon tank that I have now?

Thank you for your quick reply!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes,Being its only 3 gallon i would probably go with something like a tetra.They are very small.But they are not that hardy.So the water parameters need to be right before adding them or they will not make it.Buy a good test kit.Liquid not test strips.I use API master test kit.Runs about 25 bucks at most places.And remember the bigger the aquarium the easier it is to take care of.So buy the biggest you can afford.With a bigger tank you will have alot more options.Goldfish are a very dirty fish,Cause alot of waste.So when you buy a bigger tank let us know what size you get and we will help you determine what filter will be best.Ask as many questions as possible to learn as much as possible:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would I need a heater for a tetra? Also, what about a beta fish or something that isn't even a fish like shrimp.

I mostly want something cool and easy to take care of for my son to look at, though I must admit I had my heart set on a little gold fish, so I am thinking about getting a 10 gal tank.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes good call 3 gallon would be great for a Betta.You will want to keep the tank mid 70's for a happy Betta you can buy small heater very cheap.Now i have a 10 gallon and they are hard to take care of.What i would do is go with the 3 for a beta for your son and if you want fish also then i would spend a little time looking for something like a 29 gallon or something like that.Oh and yes tetra needs mid 70's also.There are several people here on this forum that can give you what information you need on Betta's:)And read the Betta section:)

·
Registered
187 Posts
You are very welcome.Just remember if you need help just ask before spending money for things you dont need or not spending for what you do need and regretting it later:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Another thought would be white cloud mountain minnows, which will do fine with no heat. You could have two or three of them in a 3 gallon tank as long as you do frequent water changes.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
1 goldfish needs 10 gallon tank minimum
This is not true, because (despite the fact that it is repeated by too many people) we have comet goldfish at my school that started as feeder goldfish that are now 2 feet long!!! A ten gallon tank isn't only too small, but the full-grown goldfish wouldn't even fit in it. stunting the goldfish won't help either, because then it will just be cramped and it's life will be shortened. so anyone who says that a ten gallon is fine for a goldfish, unfortunately, is wrong... just a warning to anyone..... A betta should be fine for that size tank, as long it has a filtration system (even undergravel is fine.). good luck!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes ten gallon is big enough for the first cpl years.I never stated it should be housed in it forever.10 Gallon minimum till it gets bigger then move up.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Unfortunately a lot of small tanks are sold by fish stores and get stocked with too many fish or ones that cant fit. I would consider a 10gallon tank. I would use a 10gal as a minimum size and put a fancy betta in there with a cory cat or 2. Goldfish get huge and need a big tank.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is not true, because (despite the fact that it is repeated by too many people) we have comet goldfish at my school that started as feeder goldfish that are now 2 feet long!!! A ten gallon tank isn't only too small, but the full-grown goldfish wouldn't even fit in it. stunting the goldfish won't help either, because then it will just be cramped and it's life will be shortened. so anyone who says that a ten gallon is fine for a goldfish, unfortunately, is wrong... just a warning to anyone..... A betta should be fine for that size tank, as long it has a filtration system (even undergravel is fine.). good luck!
totally didnt see your post, but i agree 100%

·
Registered
187 Posts
Danm you people need to read!Did i say keep a goldfish in 10 gallon?I think not,And you are not going to make me believe 10 gallons is not big enough to start with!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Oh and Fishboydanny1,You might want to do some research i have never known a comet that grew to 24 inches!14 maybe 15 i might believe 24 i dont think so and if it is 24 doubt its a comet!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts