Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just put a couple of these chaps into my community tank to control any algae build-up that might occur. Rather than scrape the glass I prefer a more natural approach.

Fascinating creatures, beautifully coloured. For snails they certainly move around the tank quickly !!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Snails can do a great job keeping the glass clean, but do you have any problems with the snails eating the plants. AND, how do you control the snail population?

I had a couple of clown loaches in my 20G, but they are now in my 29G. I can already see the return of the trumpet (???) snails in the 20G. (I think that's what they're called.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's early days yet but if they eat the plants then I'll replace them :) So far they have spent their time wandering around the glass and over the ornaments in the tank. The very small snails that I occasionally find in my tank are normally either removed or occasionally crushed, the fish seems to enjoy the tidbits.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi,

you'll have to give your apple snails extra food as they will starve to death on what they find in a tank. They grow pretty big and really need lots of food.
Mine love cucumber, spinach, boiled-over nettles, dried walnut leaves and generally all kinds of veggie foods. However, once I caught Anton catching live blackworms by forming a kind of a siphon with his foot and slurping the worms in like spaghetti. They also go for fish food tablets, frozen fish food, granules and so on.

Cheers
Ulli

·
Registered
756 Posts
Snails can do a great job keeping the glass clean, but do you have any problems with the snails eating the plants. AND, how do you control the snail population?

I had a couple of clown loaches in my 20G, but they are now in my 29G. I can already see the return of the trumpet (???) snails in the 20G. (I think that's what they're called.)
It depends on the snails. I use Nerite snails in my tank for algae control. They can only reproduce in salt water, so I don't get unwanted snails. However, they still lay eggs from time to time. The ones I have are green, but you can get some really pretty variations like the zebra and horned:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts