Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Gold tetras are knows for carrying some 'bugs'. From what i understand it is actually a parasite which causes their colour to be gold. I have read that they are more prone to sickness than many other species.

I LOVE with these fish though. I think they look fantastic in schools.

Last time I had a school of these, they lasted for around 1 year and then got sick and died. I tried to treat with meds but it did no good.

I am starting up my tank again and am thinking about trying again with them. I would love to know if anyone has kept a school of these healthy for over 1 year. Any tips?

Although last time my tank was well kept (cycled, ph & hardness adjusted, not overfed ect).. this time I am going to go the extra mile with things in general and in partical, to be very careful when adding fish as to not get any of the fish shop's potentially diseased water in the tank. Hopefully this will help.

If they are too prone to disease though I probably just won't bother with them :(

Thanks very much in advance for any guidance.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
I have no personal knowledge of this fish, but after some extensive research, i have found they do best in groups, and are supposedly a very hardy fish, as long as they are provided with the proper conditions. If you are finding good colored specimens they may have been from the wild and had the disease to start with, as most aquarium bred specimens have very poor color. Id say if you like em go for it and try a little aquarium salt in your tank to help with disease potential. :). Thanks for your post and enjoy yourself here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts