Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 24g nano set up for 2 and a half months now and the last couple days have come home to a ton of glod algea all over my sand. i have tried reducing my lighting to 10 hrs a day and no difference. also red slime algea becomeing a daily prob as well. any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks,
Matt

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
when i had red slime i did a large water change to suck out all the algae i could then ran no lights for 4 days to kill it off

·
Registered
60 Posts
Its normal to get that when your tank is cycling. Just do regular water changes and let it be. You could add a sea cucumber once your tank is cycled to help clean the sand. Don't add sand sifting star fish they are bad for your sand.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have you been running your lights the full two months? How high are your nitrates? Have you been doing water changes? If you don't take care of the water quality problems, turning your lights off for a few days isn't going to help because the problem will come back once you start running them again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The three major things that increase red slime are lighting, nutrients and low water flow. Cyno bacteria has been shown to be somewhat photosyntheic so cutting back lighting helps. Increase water changes using saltwater made from rodi check water flow try to eliminate low flow areas where nutrients build up. Cut back on feeding. Cyno blooms are normal when cycling a tank and occasionally in older tanks, where as I have gotten to relaxed in maintance. I hope that this helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts