Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here but not new to this hobby having over 6 decades as an old time aquarist. Hoping to find a place I may be able to help newbies and a site that’s not cliquish. Had my hay day awhile back but do to age health and the last hurricane (KIS) keeping it so very simple today. Kept turtles , fish and was into breeding. By 67 was into large tanks only. Smallest 150’s and up. Big change now required with my age. Was a volunteer for over 18 years with a Louisiana Nature Center. Yesterday got my new plants in so here’s a look , 10 gallon. There will be some moving plants around for sure once they acclimate to my tank. Also will be adjusting the par level too. Most are low light and a couple medium light. Only other addition will be a few snails. Nerite maybe since they eat decaying plant waste too. Sorry for low quality video only a senior consumer cellular phone.

https://vimeo.com/716896972

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,933 Posts
Welcome. This site isn't to busy anymore, lot of people going to Facebook, so its pretty relaxed here, Nice tank! I know how it feels to downsize. I have had many tanks but health wise I am down to 3 shrimp tanks, Largest is 20 gal.

·
Registered
322 Posts
New here but not new to this hobby having over 6 decades as an old time aquarist. Hoping to find a place I may be able to help newbies and a site that’s not cliquish. Had my hay day awhile back but do to age health and the last hurricane (KIS) keeping it so very simple today. Kept turtles , fish and was into breeding. By 67 was into large tanks only. Smallest 150’s and up. Big change now required with my age. Was a volunteer for over 18 years with a Louisiana Nature Center. Yesterday got my new plants in so here’s a look , 10 gallon. There will be some moving plants around for sure once they acclimate to my tank. Also will be adjusting the par level too. Most are low light and a couple medium light. Only other addition will be a few snails. Nerite maybe since they eat decaying plant waste too. Sorry for low quality video only a senior consumer cellular phone.

https://vimeo.com/716896972
Hi!!😃 nice to meet you!😃
Wow! You're neato, our fish buddy!
I love the site and so will you!😃 you are addicted too; ey?😂😂😂 there's nothing wrong with that and welcome!😃
Boy, someone else I can pick their brain!😂😂
You can never get enough!😃
What a really nice tank too; a double woozy!!😃
I love seeing everyone's aquariums; you know?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi!!😃 nice to meet you!😃
Wow! You're neato, our fish buddy!
I love the site and so will you!😃 you are addicted too; ey?😂😂😂 there's nothing wrong with that and welcome!😃
Boy, someone else I can pick their brain!😂😂
You can never get enough!😃
What a really nice tank too; a double woozy!!😃
I love seeing everyone's aquariums; you know?
Hi!😃
Howz it going with "going smaller" for you now?😂😂

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not much changed. Waiting for plants to get established which should be another 2 weeks since I’m only using little over 20-25 micromols of par for low to mid range plants.. Did catch neons doing their square dance. Checked my water finding it was getting to soft / acidic with the 2 pieces of driftwood . Out they (driftwood) went. That was too much for a 10 gallon and got neon's dancing…. When I had my Discus tank 150 gallon would have about 15#’s malaysian driftwood in it. Even kept my rainbow tank , 150 gallon , on the soft side too. Bottom line did not want neon babies. The diy / mops not bad making but keeping cultures going was a pain. My breeding days are long behind me . Nature will take it natural course in this 10 gallon. Most don’t even know eggs were laid or see babies until most are eaten do to the small size. Also not real happy with the plants I got. Baby tears melted already (understandable) keeping roots alive , may come back. All the potted octopus was cutting’s “NO” roots on any. Not happy about that ! Potted crytocoryne lucens was thrown together at last minute . Could tell because rock wool had no roots growing in it , only smashed together roots in middle of rock wool. One of those co-op places , never again. Wish I still had my 70 gallon plant tank for backup. Needed that for the turtles I had. But that was years ago just to dam old now.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Not much changed. Waiting for plants to get established which should be another 2 weeks since I’m only using little over 20-25 micromols of par for low to mid range plants.. Did catch neons doing their square dance. Checked my water finding it was getting to soft / acidic with the 2 pieces of driftwood . Out they (driftwood) went. That was too much for a 10 gallon and got neon's dancing…. When I had my Discus tank 150 gallon would have about 15#’s malaysian driftwood in it. Even kept my rainbow tank , 150 gallon , on the soft side too. Bottom line did not want neon babies. The diy / mops not bad making but keeping cultures going was a pain. My breeding days are long behind me . Nature will take it natural course in this 10 gallon. Most don’t even know eggs were laid or see babies until most are eaten do to the small size. Also not real happy with the plants I got. Baby tears melted already (understandable) keeping roots alive , may come back. All the potted octopus was cutting’s “NO” roots on any. Not happy about that ! Potted crytocoryne lucens was thrown together at last minute . Could tell because rock wool had no roots growing in it , only smashed together roots in middle of rock wool. One of those co-op places , never again. Wish I still had my 70 gallon plant tank for backup. Needed that for the turtles I had. But that was years ago just to dam old now.
Hi!😃
Boy! You sound very, very busy, Sir! I also enjoy keeping busy with out tanks as well! It's our hobby and we enjoy the time we spend with them all though!😃
Yes, getting old, I hear you...hmmm...we have 7 now and will probably get a couple more bigger ones yet because we want to give the babies larger homes when it's time. Just doing these 7 brings out the "beast" in me but I stillll keep going. Never was a very lazy sorta person though...hmmm...you sound awesome, Sir, just take your time for this is what my hubby tells me alllll the time!😂😂😂 I do though...but, I still get soooo excited though!😀😀
If you don't mind me asking; where are you at? We live in St. Augustine, Florida; have you ever heard of it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Heard of it , Yes. But never been there. I should I'm also a sport fisherman , catch and release. Almost the exact latitude both at 29°. I’ll open east facing window see if you hear me. Oh , that longitude got us. In New Orleans…

After Hurricane Katrina tried going without tanks but had to my wife insisted ! For peace of mind , (her’s). Then Ida last year, didn’t see tanks to come any more. Wife passed several years ago but got word to me to get some kind of tank. So the ten gallon.
Oh , once you get over 100 gallons the tanks are easier to keep , less problems , truly. More time needed but easier. It's a new world for me going to the ten. Adjustment yes but I can cycle a cup of coffee , been doing this well over 60 years and didn't really start until I got out of college. Hell my quarantine tanks were a 20 gallon and a 70 gallon.

PS: LFS's are sad on large items for big tanks so you will get good at "DIY". It's fun...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Susan and the fish lady it was nice to meet you but I'm out this () forum. Guess I'm just too old and my insight not needed here. Terms not based on documented fact. Too much "anecdotal " ....

·
Registered
322 Posts
Susan and the fish lady it was nice to meet you but I'm out this () forum. Guess I'm just too old and my insight not needed here. Terms not based on documented fact. Too much "anecdotal " ....
Hi...😞
Sorry to see you go, Sir...geez... I hope that we didn't do something to offend you. I loved talking to you... I sigh...well, be blessed...😞😞
I enjoyed your company...bye...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts