Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick note now that I am a registered member. I have been lurking on this forum for a few days now and have found a number of valuable tips that have made upgrading from a 15 gallon to a 55 gallon, much smoother. All my friends have moved into their new home and are enjoying the larger space. I currently have (2) Black Phantom tetra's, (2) Glo-light tetra's, (1) Dwarf Neon Gourami, (1) female Betta, and a common pleco.
I purchased the tank as a kit and so far have not been impressed with the TopFin 60 filter that came with it. It is the loudest filter I have ever heard. I called Petsmart and they said to bring it back and they would replace it. I don't plan on keeping the filter long, but need it until I can save up the funds to get a canister filter. I'm still researching but have narrowed it down to three, Fluval 305, Rena XP3, or Eheim 2215. I have some Amazon Swords and love the look of real plants. I'm thinking of adding some more down the road, but need to do some more homework.

Anyway, thanks to all of you who have posted so much great knowledge on this board. I hope that someday I can add the some of my own testimony as I enjoy this new found hobby. :fish-in-bowl:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Haha, same with me! Being new to this hobby, it's awesome to come on here and get all the info one could possibly ask for!!! Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Glad we could help! Eheim and Fluval are the best brands, IMO. They last forever and always perform the way they're supposed to. I've had the same Eheim canister on my 60g FOWLR tank for over 15 years and have never had a problem with it. A little bit spendy, but a great product for sure. Worth the extra money

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site! i reccomend fluvals.

Reactions: shawn74

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the warm welcome. So my TopFin 60 filter was louder than a freight train, luckily PetSmart gave me the full price of what one would be if I hadn't bought it as part of a kit. I picked up a Penguin 350b and have been much happier with it than my old filter. So, now I am trying to decide if I should add another 350b or trade it in for a canister. I think I have narrowed it down to the Eheim 2217. What do you all think would be the best setup for my 55 gallon planted community tank?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
the canister is better(though i'd still say fluval over eheim).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the canister is better(though i'd still say fluval over eheim).
I took your advise and just ordered a 305 fro Petco. I had a $50 gift card from Christmas and they were on sale, with a 10% off code and free shipping brought it to my door for $146 after WA tax. I can't wait to get it up and running. I'll post an update once she's up and running. *w3

Reactions: petlover516

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
You'll love her LOL

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Just stoping by to say HI.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts