Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. I'm new here but have had many aquariums over the years. For the last 12 years I have had only a land/water amphibian & plant setup. A few months ago my last newt died (had him for 12 years!) and I think I'm ready to get back into some fish keeping.
As a kid I had lots of tanks and fish (up to 6 at once, marine and fresh) and one of my all-time favorites was my red tiger oscar. He had so much character and was relatively easy to keep and I think I might like a more "pet-like" fish with personality like that again. My current tank is a 29 gallon which is what my childhood oscar lived in, but now I think that may be a little on the small side for when it's full grown. I also now have a young (six year old) son who has a couple of goldfish. So as not to upset my son, I'm wondering if there are any medium to large (appropriate for a 29 gal) fish that are not so predatory but still with lots of personality. I'd love something that has character like my old oscar did without the "bottomless pit" appetite for goldfish an oscar has. Any suggestions? I'm not sure I want to go for discus because I'd rather have something more hardy. Angelfish are a possibility, or maybe Africans (yes I know they also like live food), but I'd like to hear what you people think in case I'm overlooking something obvious.

I'll also need a new filter for this setup. I used to have a nice canister in the early 90's but I gave it away years ago. I'm sure it will depend on the fish too, but what's the current standard for freshwater filter systems?

Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a rope fish. He is pretty cool (I have pics in my gallery) and he eats krill and dried bloodworms. How big are the goldfish because he will eat live food ( but it is not nessary) he is like a snake, he can open his mouth pretty wide. Any fish over two and a half inches should be good though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a rope fish. He is pretty cool (I have pics in my gallery) and he eats krill and dried bloodworms. How big are the goldfish because he will eat live food ( but it is not nessary) he is like a snake, he can open his mouth pretty wide. Any fish over two and a half inches should be good though.
Thanks, I only worry for my son because he likes goldfish, but his goldfish have their own bowl. He just doesn't want to see my fish eating fish he considers pets.
I think I may go for Africans now. I have always wanted to have an African setup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts