Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My dad and I ran a ton of freshwater setups when I was a teen. I had a 55 I kept going in my 20s. The last few years I have had nothing. My kids have begged me to set up another...and they kept looking at tiny setups. I know bigger is easier, so they (we) are getting surprised by a 46 gal corner tank today. It's there, they just wont see it till tonight.

I'm not planning on using the UGF. The stand has a perfect area for a canister filter, I was thinking a magnum HOT and not hanging it. I've got to budget this...don't want to go crazy until I am used to things again and then I'll sink the money into a 250 or so (which I am putting away for soon since that one I'll probably try saltwater). I'm thinking of painting the "corner" of the tank light blue before I fill it. Also need to see what stuff I still have, I know a heater and a few other things are in order.

While I am deciding on the filter...is it bad to put the substrate and water in? It'll make the process more real for the kids. I plan on having a filter hooked up this weekend.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the Site! Go with an aquaclear+Fluval 405.

Reactions: Joey

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the Site! Go with an aquaclear+Fluval 405.
I'll admit, it's been a long time since I paid much attention...but that seems pretty excessive for a 46. I'd like to keep the filtration cost about $100 or less if I can effectively do so. I'd spend a bit more for quiet I guess, or better quality...

Either way, thanks for the welcome and any suggestions are great! I'll drop a picture when I have something swimming in there.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Both fluvals and AquaClears are quiet and quality!

Reactions: Joey

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ok well the 305 fluval will cost you 150bucks or just above.Under 100bucks i would go with the aquaclear 110! It will run you around 75 bucks:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All the advice is appreciated, as are the welcomes! I suppose I shouldn't turn this into a tech thread.

I am on my way :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
bad to put the substrate and water in?
Yes! of course you can put substrate and water in without a filter!! I've done it, and chlorine that is in the water will go away within a day. Since chlorine dies when it is exposed to air.

Aqua clear so far is my best filter that I am using. I usually clean out the entire filter sponge, and charcoal every few days. People say not to rinse out the filter in tap water, but my science teacher from a long time ago said he did it... so I can do it too :)

It keeps my tank VERY clean, and frequent water changes does help too :) a corner tank is lovely :) just the two sides that reach the corner of the wall... I don't know how you can put a filter when your supposed to put the filter at the back of the entire aquarium.

I've got to budget this...don't want to go crazy until I am used to things again and then I'll sink the money into a 250 or so
Well a lot of tanks now a days are expensive.. the only thing is that I hate about the pricing is that, I have to pay about 400 dollars for my 150g tank. But I don't mind too much because I make a lot more than that a day xD not trying to bragg xD sorry :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes! of course you can put substrate and water in without a filter!! I've done it, and chlorine that is in the water will go away within a day. Since chlorine dies when it is exposed to air.
Thank you for confirmation. I actually already did when no one said "stop", but it's good to hear.

It keeps my tank VERY clean, and frequent water changes does help too :) a corner tank is lovely :) just the two sides that reach the corner of the wall... I don't know how you can put a filter when your supposed to put the filter at the back of the entire aquarium.
Another thanks, I am very happy with how the corner tank looks so far. I did worry about a HOT filter because I am exactly 3 inches from the wall and don't want it to rub or vibrate. I am leaning towards a canister. Tomorrow I head to a LFS to check things out.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yeah :) Although... you'll need to have your corner tank farther away. More than 3" in fact. The filter is about 4-5" on the side which means that you'll probably need your tank about 6-8" apart from the wall :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Welcome!

Do you want to have your tank closer to the wall? Do you have a cabinet with room under your tank for a canister? If so you may want to consider one. You can find some for ~$100 or less if you look. Look at the Fluval 205, Fluval 305, Rena XP1, and Rena XP2 as possible options.

Keep in mind that 2 smaller filters may be another option over one big one. This gives you more water flow options, intake locations, and back-up bio media in case one breaks. You can also clean them on alternating weeks to insure no ammonia or nitrite spikes.

BTW What kind of fish are you looking at getting?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty sure I am going to do the canister. I think the extra money will be worth it for aesthetics and possibly less work overall. Surfing for deals on a Fluval 305 or 405 now. Sort of considering the off brand ones like Jebo...half the price but maybe still a risk if it sucks.

As to the fish, I am probably going to do a cichlid mix. I just love the variety and personalities they offer. I've had great luck with them in the past also.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well if you do Cichlids look into using eco complete as your gravel,Sand or substrate.It will keep the ph high like african Cichlids need.And i guess you were ref to Africans?Another thing if you do African Cichlids Be careful feeding them you can over feed them very easy,And they get what is called malawi bloat.In 95% of cases they will die!

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
*w2 Glad to have you here. And its particularly nice to hear you say youre involving your kids in your hobby. Young folks are the future of this fish thing we all love, so Bravo to you :)

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Welcome and hope you enjoy the forum.

Rose

1 - 19 of 19 Posts