Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever heard of balloon rams? I have three gold ones and love them. I have been looking for the blue balloon rams (the coloration is the same as the GBR) but none of the LFS seem to have heard of them. the gold ones I received as a Christmas gift from my nephews and were sold to them as the regular Gold rams. Definitely not. I went to the LFS store where my nephews got the gold balloon rams and they insisted that they were NOT balloon rams. LOL, apparently they don't know what they're selling. And yes, I do know what the original gold rams look like because I used to own two.
Anyway...after rambling on and on...has anyone ever seen them or know of a place online that I can order them?
Thanks

·
service cart captain
80 Posts
I have wanted these for as long as I can remember . The main producers are in Taiwan .Apparently their bodies are shortened by rearing them in water with very high levels of zinc but YuTaKa Loo's experiences suggest otherwise(see link). The 'super veil' or 'angel veil' have often been marketed as 'balloon' but they have normal bodies .

http://www.geocities.com/yutaka_loo/index.html

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm. Deformed. I wonder if 'deformed' means that it's just different than what we usually see in a GBR or if it's something else? I know my gold balloons are the most active in my tank. Quick little suckers.
I got a friend of mine to send me a pic of his.
Here it is:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish. I can't get them either. The fish I posted the pics of are in Texas. Apparently, they are readily available there. I have checked with small LFS to large chains in my area and nada, zip, zilch. Most have never heard of them. Can't find them for sale online either.
Let me know if you have any luck finding them.
Good luck.

·
service cart captain
80 Posts
That's wild! I had only just arrived in Beaumont ,Tx. when I posted that . I'll be in Houston later. Perhaps I'll get a chance to check out the LFS's.
I've ordered this fish countless times ,from several countries , and it was either out of stock or they shipped the wrong thing(super veil...).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WooHoo!!! Found them at a pet store in Lexington, VA. He's ordering more and will have 3 for me Fri.
I can't wait....:D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I emailed him the pic I posted of my friends balloon rams and he told me that was what he had and is ordering again plus he has the gold ones in stock.
Keeping fingers crossed, but this guy has a very good reputation and has been in the business forever.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks.
I'll ask the store owner who his supplier is and see if they ship to individual people. If not, I'll ask if he's willing to ship to lagniappe personally. If so, I'll post it and also send him a PM.

Donna

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got 'em!. They actually have more color than the pics show. And for some reason, the gourami seems to have adopted them. Posted another one in my album.

lagniappe, LFS owner is checking to see if his suppliers will ship, if this is what you're looking for. Will let you know when he gets back to me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pretty sure I have two female and one male. One is still in hiding in a plant.

The Flying Dutchman - I now know what you mean about some people not liking them and thinking they are deformed. When you look at them, they don't look like they could possibly swim normally. The fins look tiny compared to the body. Just like my gold ones tho, they are very active and can propel themselves backward quickly before turning around and swimming.
Cool to watch. I could have a whole tank of them and never be bored.

Donna

1 - 20 of 24 Posts