Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Sera brand GH test kit today. The directions say to add one drop at a time until the color turns from red to brown to green. I tested the tank water and the first drop it had a green tint to it. A couple more drops it just got greener and greener. I have a well and a water softener. I went and test water from the hose (not through the softener) and it tested about 19.
Does the water softener alter the test readings or should I assume that the hardness of my tank water is close to 0. I tested the water from the sink and it testes close to 0 as well.

I plan on stocking the tank with cardinal tetras and angels ( it already has cories and BN plecos) once it more established. I know they prefer softer water. So with my GH reading and I good to go or do I need to test for something else since I have a water softener.
Thanks

·
Registered
756 Posts
What kind of softner are you using for your water. Does it need to be changed/washed/chemicals added?

I would hesitate using this if anything above has to be done to "recharge" the softening process (other than carbon or mechanical). If it is the latter I would mix it ~4 to 1 with the hose water to get a hardness of around 3-6 GH.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know all the different types of softeners. This is the one you add salt to and it does it's own thing. Nothing to change out or anything. Just the standard Culligan brand water softener.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes, your GH is at less than 1. My Culligan system is the same way. Your KH is probably about 12 I am guessing since I have the same system.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
you have a water softener that takes salt correct like a vertical tub that holds the media?

If I recall right that is the less then ideal water to use.

Can you get some regular tap water to mix and test?

I know I had to have a Gh between 1-3 and a Kh 3-6, I got this by adding 5g of tap to every 40g of RO I use.
Alao, did you do 1 single test or multiple tests?

Gh isnt the only thing to worry about Kh is the more important one of the two.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately right now this is my only water source. The water straight out of my well that doesn't go through the softener and would not work. I live in the country and the well water is my only source. I thought about getting an RO unit but I hate the thought of doing water changes on a 120g tank with buckets. I have a Python right now and I fear if I started storing RO water and had to lug it around I would start getting lazy with the water changes.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I just connected a hose to my holding tank for my RO water, its 50' long, I can get anywhere with this hose.

I use an agriculture container, the ones they mount to farm impliments to spread liquids on the crops, brand new, drilled for a bulkhead in the bottom for the hose feed.
there are so many DIY holding tank plans on the net though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts