Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm from Australia and am really into freshwater, progressing into marine. I am particularly interested in the puffer fish, something that has been with me for years now. Ever since I caught my first puffer in a polluted, muddy creek under an old bridge I've been fascinated with them. This one was a Tetractenos hamiltoni (Bait-stealing sods to most, charismatic, charming pets to me) or Common Toadfish. Since then I have kept three different species, T. hamiltoni, Marilyna pleurosticta (commonly known as Banded or Tiger Stripe Puffer in the trade, similar in general appearance to the better known Amazon Puffer (Colomesus asellus)) and Torquigener pleurogramma, the Weeping Toado. I caught every single puffer I own or ever have owned, none of these are common in the trade, and those in other countries probably haven't heard of them. But I think they should start exporting them and selling them, they are charming and even remarkably interactive pets -particularly the T. hamiltoni.

When setting up a tank, I like to take a multi-species, ecosystem-like approach to things. For example, you probably think I am crazy, but I will have a puffer and some reef prawns in the same tank - one eats the other in the wild, why shouldn't they interact (at the expense of the prawn, LOL) in captivity as well? Obviously I wouldn't put a coral nipping puffer onto a beautiful, mature reef setup, but say, in a sandflat tank I will have nudibranchs and puffers in the same setup, as long as there are enough nudibranchs to breed rapidly and enough holes for them to hide in. The question then is where to draw the line, though - not even I would put an octopus in the same tank as a seahorse!!

I think I like it here!!!

-E

·
Registered
95 Posts
Welcome to the boards.

The only thing between the puffer and nudibranch part is that alot of the more colorful nudibranchs have some form of poison that they release when they die (if im not mistaken)

·
Reefer, Plants and Ponds
270 Posts
Love your screen name! Welcome.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. It is great to have you here with us. have a great day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts