Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So quite a while ago I pulled my German Blue Rams from my 180 and placed them in a 20Tall by themselves.A little less than amonth ago 1 pair laid eggs on a plant leave and they hatched but do to not being only pair in tank I don't see any fry anymore.I seperated the pairs(1 pair left in 20 tall and one pair in a 10g).The pair in the 20 tall have laid eggs again just last night!They laid the eggs on the sponge filter this time!So we'll see in a couple days if they fry have a better shot with just their parents this time.The other pair seem to very happy but I have not seen eggs yet.
Pics of the eggs to come!

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I keep looking for fry (and I know they are tiny) and don't see any,BUT when looking nextdoor to them in my apisto tank I just found (saw) 2 fry and they are microscopic!I had suspected the apistos were/would breed but their tank is also heavy with java moss so never even saw eggs, but did notice 1 of the 3 females staying in a corner pile of moss for the last week or so.I saw one of the females suck the fry in and spit it out so my only idea is to add more java moss for hiding spots and as a great source of food(DONE!) Hopefully I'll be able to get pics of both tanks within a week that will show some or one fry at least(they're smaller than a dust spec now!).

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My wife says I try to breed every fish I get!I do!
My goal is simple;To put back more than I take.If I can then I have not effected our sometimes limited fish supply.It's also a satisfying feeling to know fish are happy enough to spawn and even better if you raise the fry.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Haha oh I agree there 100%. My wife "complains" that I try the same thing, she wants a guppy, I breed hundreds of them. I put a gourami in, the next week I am finding a female lol. Its a challenge and a reward, one of the best!

·
Registered
498 Posts
That is so cool. Hope you have great success rearing these.

I just got 2 GBR's but have no idea what sex they are. Actually got 3 but one didn't make it.

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the same day I took the pic of the fry on their clay pot, they were gone!I've looked hard every day and just couldn't seem to find them.But today when I looked I could not believe my eyes!

It looks like hundreds of them swimming aaround the parents in the back of the tank!
I am so happy they have made it this far and can't wait to see what comes next!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Really nice! I want pick of the litter. Too bad these weren't a couple of months earlier. My son and his girlfriend were just in Saratoga for a weekend concert and they could have picked them up and brought them home for me.

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So most of what I have read said the parents don't raise the fry and often eat them 2 days after freeswimming.So no chances being taken I have moved the parents to their next breeding tank(20 long).I have also read that the fry are among the most diffacult to raise so I really didn't want to take any extra chances.Only hours after moving the parents the fry have gone from a "cloud" like swarm to being scattered all over the tank.So hopefully I did the right thing and can raise some of these guys.Really seemed to be 1-2 hundred of them while swarming the parents so even 10%(I hope for much better)will be a decent return for my first attempt at raising these gems.My reading also found that most are saying GBR only live for 2-2 1/2 years which seems way to short for me!Anyone have them last longer?

·
I CHANGE WATER
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So there is at least 1 fry in the ten(maybe more but not many).This pair was moved to a 20 long and laid eggs again of which the fry are now free swiiming around the parents(many!).In the other 20 tall there are eggs on the pot.The 20 tall is loaded with MTS(snails) and I'm not so sure they didn't eat the eggs last time?Also some how a male swordtail has found his way into this tank from the 75gl directly above it(can't really figure out how he landed under his tank but this would seem to be the case).
I'm looking for any advice on feeding these tiny fry to see if I can get a higher intial survival rate?
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 213 Posts