Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason im posting this thread is to see if i did all the nessesary percautions. If i did something wrong or didnt do something let me know.

So i was at snoqualimie falls close to where i live in seattle, and i was walkign down near the bottom of the falls sight seeing. I look around and notice the rocks around me(the little ones) would be the perfect size for some added deco for my tank.

So needless to say but i took quite a few home for my 10 and 40 gallon tanks. So when i got home i boiled the rocks for about 30min, change the water and did it two more times for a total of an hour and a half. Im sure just like everyone else right when you get something you want to put it into you tank. but not with some of the bigger rocks, they took forever to cool down internaly. If i would have put them in im sure my water temp would have sky rocketed. But when everythign was cooled off i put them in and now they look great.

So did i take the proper measures?

Thanks Thomas*w3

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Probably a lot more than i would have, Most rocks you find in creeks etc, are very dense material, like granite almost, so very little if anything can seep into them. Any surface issues can be dealt with by just laying them in the sun to dry for awhile. Aquatic meanies cant live out in the open for long. But better safe than sorry, is never a bad rule of thumb.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Were those like shelf rock, I think that stuff makes a really nice look, in the tank, placed here and there, for corals to set on, and the animals like to swim in under it also, and sometimes just swim under there to hide and rest for awhile.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just added a few nice chunks of slate and some geodes (oddly enough i found the geodes in my yard of all places)i just rinse the rocks off and drop them in.

Many of my rocks in the tanks are just 6in minus pieces(typically limestone) used in the construction of my driveway/bridge. i stack them to create some shelter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts