Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just added some live plants to my aquarium because they were on sale at the pet store and I got them cheaper than the plastic ones were. I only have a gravel substrate and was wondering if this would work, and also how often i should add the liquid fertilizer (Plant Gro)? Any help would be appreciated because I am new to live plants, and don't really want them to just slowly die. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, and I do not have any co2 right now. Is it necessary or will the fish provide enough? The lighting is 19 watts and i have 3 chilensis and 2 that did not have names.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The fish will not provide enough CO2 for the plants. Plants do require CO2 to grow to properly. Some plants require more than other plants in the way of CO2. As far as the ferts what does the bottle recommend.

Now to you tank.... what is your lighting and Wattage.
what plants did you buy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How deep is your gravel (good plants need at least three inches).

How big is the tank and you have 19 watts? (you'll probably want to have somewhere in the range of 2-3 watts per gallon of water)

Ferts: I use plant gro and API ferts, I dose everyday but my tanks are lushly planted and have a 4-5 Watts per gallon ratio. I don't use CO2 right now and it isnt a must, because some prepared ferts come with CO2 in them or you can buy the little fizzie tabs that release CO2 for the plants slowly and need weekly replacing. (i have yet to try these).

Try to look on Plantgeek.net to see if you plants are aquatic or not, if not they'll just rot. Also see if you can identify the second plant and give it some sort of a name (if not maybe a few of us could tell you from a pic).

-Brandon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts