Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 75 gallon aquarium that i would love ( maybe) to turn into salt water. my problem is the electricity goes out quite a bit here and i dont want to go to the the expense of " killing off expensive fish" just for the you know what of it.... any suggestions from fellow members would be appriciated. im trying to decide if i can make a freshwater aquarium look like a saltwater one. i love fish...btw....just a hint for us members who also grow bananas....when you do your water changes use the water on your nana trees....free fert! LOL! and yes jarred i had to throw nanas in there somewhere. lol!:D:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
(mskitty and I both grow banana plants)

When the electricity goes out, how long does it usually stay out for?

You can make a freshwater tank look saltwater by doing an African Cichlid tank - they come in bright colors and are very active in the water column. And they like a high PH so you can use just about any type of rockwork, like the holey rock, to make it appear as a reef of sorts.
I have saltwater tanks and no I do not use the old water from water changes as fertilizer! I have tried using the skimmate the protein skimmer pulls as thats full of nutrients, but I tend to not do it much. I still experiment with it on some plants but not much.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sometimes its off for a few minutes but there are times when its out for hours. i had a friend a while ago that had a lionfish and the lights went out for 30 mins and got sick and died. thats my concern on spending 250.00( thats what youd spend on one here in tn.) on a lionfish and it croak. i like the look of the saltwater( goodness i miss the ocean) but i dont want to take the chance of killing expensive fish. the water for fert is from the freshwater aquarium.

·
Registered
259 Posts
bro, to tell you the truth, i wouldnt invest in a tank at all if your powers goes off so frequently... if you get a generator life would be a lot easier..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats an idea. thanks guys, i will keep that in mind when i get the tank finished and set up. im still trying to decide what kind of fish to put in it. weather its fresh or salt....:D. are there salt water frogs? there is so much i know and a whole lot more i dont know. and you can only google so much before it tells you...not enough information. lol. and is it true that you can make a freshwater aquarium into salt, but you cant change salt aquarium into fresh? there are a lot of "myths" out there about the saltwater aquariums.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts