Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all im new here ive been raising fish for 16 yrs or longer mainly live beares im good at that now im about to try my hand at bettas never done eggs or bubble nest so any feed back help will help and anything you might need just ask oh yes and if anyone has any info on giant catfish i am researching them i want to know if 600lb cats are truly in our lakes and streams in the u.s ty and sorry about spelling im a fish out of water with spelling lol

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Welcome to the site! Bettas, in selection of mates, are like us: they want someone who they like!

Reactions: Joey

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Breeding bettas is not for the faint of heart. If you have the time, space and money needed and the stamina to put into the project then you are set to start the education needed. But it is going to be a job and a half and it is not like doing guppies, mollies or those others where all you do is put them together and let them have babies. There is a lot to it and it starts weeks before the actual spawning and goes for months after the hatching. So unless you are in for the whole haul I would say get a couple of bettas for pets and do not consider the rest of it. But if you truly want a challenge of a major degree and feel up to working harder than you have ever worked before with no promise of any reward or even any survivors (including the parents) then get ready. We can show you how to do it.
But I can promise you it will be a challenge. Not an impossibility but a challenge for sure.

But I do want to welcome you and not scare you off. I just do not beat about the bush when it comes to breeding bettas. I find that honesty is the best policy. It is not impossible but many people have said "why didn't anyone say it was so much work?" and then flushed the fry down the toilet half way through their growth because they did not think they could go on. I want everyone to know it is going to be hard before they start and then they will be happy when it is over that they at least knew what they were in for.

I am happy you joined and I want to make you feel welcome so any questions you have please take to the Betta Forum so they can have the full exposure of the members there. Thank you.

Rose

Rose

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Breeding bettas is not for the faint of heart. If you have the time, space and money needed and the stamina to put into the project then you are set to start the education needed. But it is going to be a job and a half and it is not like doing guppies, mollies or those others where all you do is put them together and let them have babies. There is a lot to it and it starts weeks before the actual spawning and goes for months after the hatching. So unless you are in for the whole haul I would say get a couple of bettas for pets and do not consider the rest of it. But if you truly want a challenge of a major degree and feel up to working harder than you have ever worked before with no promise of any reward or even any survivors (including the parents) then get ready. We can show you how to do it.
But I can promise you it will be a challenge. Not an impossibility but a challenge for sure.

But I do want to welcome you and not scare you off. I just do not beat about the bush when it comes to breeding bettas. I find that honesty is the best policy. It is not impossible but many people have said "why didn't anyone say it was so much work?" and then flushed the fry down the toilet half way through their growth because they did not think they could go on. I want everyone to know it is going to be hard before they start and then they will be happy when it is over that they at least knew what they were in for.

I am happy you joined and I want to make you feel welcome so any questions you have please take to the Betta Forum so they can have the full exposure of the members there. Thank you.

Rose

Rose
+1. to breed bettas u need a total of 4 different tanks-spawning tank(10gallon), female grow-out tank(40gallons), females quarters(2.5-5 gallons), and males quarters(2.5-5gallons), as well as up to 50 betta jars to house males once they start fighting, and all the equipment and hassles and maintenance make breeding bettas very expensive and difficult.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts