Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay I know the title sounds really funny but it was bulk pickup in my in-laws neighborhood today and I came across a tank with broken panes and a rather large piece of driftwood to be tossed out. My question..I cant tell if it was used in a fish tank or a reptile tank. Would it still be suitable as driftwood in a tropical tank. Also it looks like there was a square pile of tile attached to the bottom of the wood, but the 2 of the screws holding it on fell out. Should I be worried that this wood might be rotten?

I noticed when I soaked the piece, It floated right to the top of the container I was using. I will wait till the morning to let you know if it finally did soak.

thank you
John B.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i always love "found on road" aquarium supplies...

i would treat the wood as if it had been used for reptiles and clean and soak it thoroughly. if its is the grapevine type of wood, it will take a long time to water log and release allot of tannins. however, if you wait it out it will look great. if your satisfied with the cleanliness's but it still floats... you could always reattach the base with plastic or coated screws.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah its about over 30 inches long and massive. It will look good in my large tank... whenever I find it

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasw able to sink it. I soaked the wood for a week in a garbage can. There were tons of tannin in it and I didn't see the waters clear up until day 5. I removed the piece of tile and screws off the bottom of the piece. I will be able to lay this piece in my large tank with the use of rocks/pottery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts