Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I got into the hobby totally by mistake. My wife, then girlfriend bought me a 16gallon via-aqua with a red volitin for a bitrhday gift (i.e. - never trust everything your LFS tells you) why he sold that combo I will never know, oh and the whole setup was uncycled (fish didnt last long). After many attempts to get this under control, I decided to do some reading, then things started to make sense. Its been about 7 years now and I have had many tanks, but have settled with this one. I like the compact size of the 10g and enjoy the ease of maintenance. I have had my share of ups and downs in this hobby as i am sure we all have but once you have the disease, you are hooked. I hope you enjoy my Little piece of the reef and would love any feedback or suggestions.

THE SETUP:

10g AGA
aqua clear 20 for chaeto
rio nano skimmer
maxspect 60w led
2x rio 50 powerhead powered by jbj ocean pulse wave timer
jbj auto top-off
jebo 50w heater

LIVESTOCK :

tailspot blenny
pom pom crab
2x sexy shrimp
McCosker's flasher wrasse (small)
engineer goby (very small)
I know its way overstocked but I am very much on top of this tank

frogspawn
pulsing xenia
gsp
florida richordea
green monti cap
assort. zoas.
green fuzzy shrooms
green candy cane
button polyps
more assort. shrooms

MY ADVICE TO BEGINNERS:

Before you buy anything - READ,READ then READ AGAIN. Know the limits of what you can afford, dont expect to be able to keep everything you see. Fish and corals do grow , some faster than others. Make a plan as to what you want, and plan your setup around your livestock wishes.
MOST IMPORTANT : DONT BE AFFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS, DONT ALWAYS BELIEVE WHAT YOUR LFS TELLS YOU (some are just in it for the sale) , AND IF IN DOUBT = DONT BUY IT

AND LAST:

I have a few tanks just sitting around so who knows - i may start a new build. options are
5.5g AGA
20g high AGA
30g cube
250w mh
sealife sys. pro reef sump
ice cap 660 & 430 ballasts for light

ANY IDEAS ?????

I KNOW THAT PHONE PICS ARE CRAPPY..... CANT FIND THE TRANSFER CABLE TO MY CAMERA, WILL GET NEW ONE THIS WEEKEND ( THESE ARE OLD PICS FROM ABOUT A MONTH AGO )

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good looking tank...You might want to get another tank up and running A.S.A.P. because you are going to run out of room real fast in this one.
I'm starting up the 30 cube back up this weekend. looking at a BSJ for sure

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good deal. Suggestion can you move or add a power head to blow across the front of the tank? It would cut down on the algae forming on the sand in the front of the tank.
I thought about that , but wasnt sure if it would work. the powerheads that are in there are running on a jbj wave timer, so i need to figure out if i should add one or just move them. any sugg.?

they are rio 50's right now in the upper center of the side panels

·
it never ends
980 Posts
I thought about that , but wasnt sure if it would work. the powerheads that are in there are running on a jbj wave timer, so i need to figure out if i should add one or just move them. any sugg.?

they are rio 50's right now in the upper center of the side panels
Maybe a moded maxi-jet or a hydor koralia #3 or4

1 - 8 of 8 Posts