Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the Midwest and it is a rare winter when we do not have at least one outage for one or more reasons and during the spring it is not uncommon either. I worried about the fish and the cycle and filtration as well as keeping some air pumping into the tanks until I figured out that if I kept a sponge filter that rates for 2 times the tank size in the back out of sight bubbling away and hooked to a rechargeable battery operated air pump, it would keep my tanks from harm for a while anyway. This does not help a lot for Long Term outages but most of ours run into hours instead of days and it has saved my fish many a time and kept me from having to recycle as the bacteria in the sponge filters quickly reseed the main filters when they start to run again.

I just thought that with winter coming on and all, there would be time for those who may want to do this to get a sponge filter seeded for the season. It takes a week to ten days depending on the bioload and size of the tank.

Thanks for listening.

Rose

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Well after 9 days of outage last year and the loss of over $3000 worth of fish. I now have a generator to keep my tanks running. especially by the end of Dec I will have 18 tanks going and that isn't practical to have battery powered pumps and heaters going for that time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've been thinking about getting an automatic backup generator for my home. They turn on when power to the house is off for more than a few seconds. A little expensive, but if I need it once it will pay for itself.

I live in Rochester, NY very close to lake Ontario. It gets real cold here and we get some serious storms and more then occasional extended power outages.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The battery pumps do not go longer than 24 hours for the most part but for those who cannot simply any way afford the generators, they do help unless you are faced with days of outages. In our area they have worked for the type we have and I like having the sponge filters anyway for any emergency quarantine tanks I may need to set up for sick or new fish. They just have so many uses.

Reactions: hydrojeff
1 - 5 of 5 Posts