Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a new tank and was curious on how to clear it up. Its a little foggy it may be due to put algae fix in there a day ago, im not sure. Anysggts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like a common issue to a new tank. Until your filter matures and gets a good bacteria colony the water can be cloudy. Most of the time its not harmfull to your fish. You can try to add some bacteria to the water to help jump start things. Pet stores sell it as a liquid you can add.

When I set mine up it was cloudy for a month before it cleared. Once when I changed too much of my filter material in one cleaning (and killed by bacteria colony)it went cloudy again for a few weeks.

Also I agree with the above post. To much light can give algea a boost. Keep the tank out of direct sunlight and get a timer on the light to control how longs its on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My tanks have always been foggy first setting them up. When I put my sand in the tank it was foggy for over a week!
It will eventually change over time. It always helps to do daily water changes to speed up the process.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all...

my planted tank was quite clear initially, however when i start to unroot a few plants and tweezer new plants in.. it became foggy after a day. it has been foggy for coming to 2 weeks. wondering did I miss out any steps in setting up this planted tank.

btw.. is KH & GH impt? cos my KH and GH indicator is quite high.

Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
So if I am understanding what your saying, anytime you up-root plants or change something in the tank evolving the substrate it gets cloudy?
Anytime you stir up the bottom your tank can get a little cloudy especially if its dirty or your filter system needs a cleaning.
I hope this answered your question:confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts