Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
they had 3 super nice about 7 inches for 189.99 and a small one about 3 inches sitting on the bottom of its tank, acting sick for 79.99 and they had a XXL flowerhorn for 89.99 which really didnt have much color coming out.

hope that helps Matt, but hearing about the transmission you better worry about that now :)

I tried to take pictures but the workers would not let me. Really pissed me off. Told them I had to take the pictures so my wife could help decide which one I should get (total lie) but i know it sounded good. I was about to flash the Club card but I didnt want to be act like a prick.

John B.

·
Registered
324 Posts
thanks John, but the flower horn idea is on the back burner where it has gone each of the last three times i got the urge LOL

Matt

·
Registered
141 Posts
i dont know if you knew this but lorenso from our club has a lot of baby trimack red devil mix wich is a type of flowerhorn i've told

·
Registered
324 Posts
i might need to check with him once the fish budget comes back on line.

·
Registered
141 Posts
lol!yea i think you saw some of those fish on the bottom tank that were in with the blue J.D in my house they haven't colordup but you can see what they call the flowers or the paters on the side of there bodys so im just waiting

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yup i know they were lorezno's. I was going to bid against you for them. thought maybe you would share :)

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
I'm just curious, but I may do it...... I was just wondering, what do you have to do/breed to develop a valuable flowerhorn cichlid? I just thought of this when I saw those flowerhorns today at beverly's (I bought a male haplichromis ahli, 5 1-2 in. labidochromis, 3 female lyretale swordtails, and a male painted swordtail, since male lyretails can't breed), and thought to myself, 'hey, maybe I can breed one of these....' is it difficult? Does it need a big tank? should I even bother....?

·
Registered
324 Posts
its is very difficult, time consuming, space demanding, secretive, and expensive. They also use south american cichlids to create their crosses. most of the valuable ones come from over seas because no one in the US has developed strains as nice.

you may consider trying it for yourself once you have experience farming fish, chemically inducing spawning, and raising thousands of fry to adulthood not knowing if they will be worth anything.

of course in a few more years the really expensive ones will likely be common and affordable with some new strain being the expensive fish.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I have read from the ACA, they frown upon crossbreeding of the south and central american species and would rather keep the strains pure. I understand where they are coming from but down the road through evolution and selective speciation, this crosses might actually happen. I want to know how Rodolfo's crosses are doing.

·
Registered
141 Posts
they are growing, agressive as the have not colored up yet they are aroun 1.25" you can see the paters on the saide like what they call the flower from trimaculatus and the eyes are red from the red devil in them

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
Quick question, are flowerhorns sterile? If they aren't, how do you tell the difference between male and female? Also, can anyone post a link to a trustworthy internet retailer or store's website that sells female haplochromis ahli? Like I said before, I bought a male at beverly's, but am interested in a few females for him........

·
Registered
141 Posts
hey well I could get you juveniles for like $5 of the ahli but if you want to make certain you have to have adult fish and check the ventral fins why don’t you wait till next month and come along with the club we are setting up a fish store crawl and will be going to some farms in my area. as for flowerhornes they are not sterile .

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
sounds great!!! I'd love to join the store crawl!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
here is a flower horn red devil cross pic i found on the web

i dont know if rodolfo's will look like this, but it's a cool fish

1 - 18 of 18 Posts