Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Reefer
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I am just wondering because I thought to myself today about the amount of flow in my tank and if its too high for a 55G. I have two Hydor Koralia 850gph powerheads and a QuietOne4000HH pump which after the head I might pump another 850-900 gph for turnover so on the low end 850GPH cycles 55G of water roughly 15 p/ hour. On top of the 850GPH that runs through the sump etc the additional 1700 GPH of flow in the tank from the powerheads concerns me just a bit. Nothing really seems upset in my tank and the fish arent blown around like a hurricane or anything. But would you say its possible to have too much flow in a reef tank? And if so how much would you say is too much in a 55G.

Please keep in mind I am in the process of gearing up a 125 so if i need to remove one of the powerheads I could always use it on the larger tank. So I want all of your opinions on flow and whats your recommended rate on a 55g.

·
Registered
943 Posts
the only time you would have to much flow would if you are blowing corals around in your tank, you have a constant dust storm from your san or all your fish are slammed against a pane of glass screaming slow it down LOL. I think you are fine in your 55 so as long as your corals are oppening up dont worry :) . I think you will want to go with Tunze's, a wave box, Vortec, or the Koralia Magnums for your 125.

·
Reefer
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i wish i could afford some of those vortec mp40s... phil is always raving about them but they are like 400 a pop. they come with a controller and stuff plus the cord doesnt go in the tank and it can be placed anywhere... so versatile... I like this koralia powerheads they make a really nice effect when you have 1700gph of powerhead flow in a 55. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Those vortecs are garbage. I went through 6 of the 40s before I finnaly got one to work. Now six months later it broke and I can't get the right parts. Koralias work great, I like the 12 volt ones with the wave maker. They are much cheaper and work great. Plus you can toss the whole unit in a bucket of vinegar and just plug them in to clean them. I never used the 4 unit controller, but the 2 unit works great. You can never have enough flow, unless you have seahorses!

·
Reefer
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
see i hear tons of good about the mp40s.. glad to see theres cons which with that price tag if they are built poorly i definately dont want to risk it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts