Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so i bought a fishtank from a buddy who had had it for a while, and i wanted to clean it up. got the big gunk off with a razer blade. I had read around on ways to get waterspots off and nothing is working for me.
i tried: 0000 gauge steel wool
90% alcohol with salt to work as abrasive
vinegar and steel wool
baking soda and water.

i think thats it but i cant really get it as clean as id like. I feel like it just might not come completely clean, but i figured id ask if anyone had any way they think it might clean it. I remember seeing a commercial cleaner on-line but have not seen any in stores. thanks for your help. -Mitch

·
Registered
756 Posts
Steel wool?! Now you probably have hundreds of little micro scratches in your tank.

For in the tank if it just water spots just add water. On the outside you can use Windex or any glass cleaner, just spray your cloth, not the glass. For the glass on top, the spots are often due to calcium build up. I typically scrape that off with a razor blade. Do you have a picture of the spots?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have not taken any pictures of it yet. but i can. water definitely did nothing and i already razor bladed as much as i could off. after the steel wool and salt and everythign it looks no worse than before as far as i can tell.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a little bit of that problem on the top inch if my tank. When the water level is up to the top I cant even see it, I think that is what dmaaaax is saying.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats what i was thinking with water it will probably go away. and i found how to do all these things on various forums. and i looked really close and can see lots of little scratches from the steel wool. its not super noticeable though. i tried a 10% bleach mixture today and washed it for what felt like an hour. will was again before i fill it. but that didnt help either. i dont think there is anything i can do about it. thanks for the help though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts