Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been working on a new fishsheet for a while now and I have to admit I am pretty happy with this one. This one has a ton of new features including multi-sheet applications, species "blackout" when fish are not suitable for a particular environment, editable compatability (not finished, unfortunately), and side-by-side comparisons with other stocking rules (inch-per-gallon and graduated area rule). Also, I simplified the entire user interface--less jargon, more application. Anyhow, I would really appreciate if some of you would take a look at it and tell me what ya think...

Oops, it seems I can't post urls for a bit.

MOA

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Since I can't post the URL, I guess I might as well properly introduce myself:

My common username is MOA, which stands for Math-Only Aquarium. I have been keeping fish for about a decade now and belong to several forums. I also have my own website (MOA's HMF How Many Fish). My focus tends to be pretty narrow, however, in that I spend most of my time creating stocking programs via spreadsheet applications that are designed to help new aquarists stock their aquariums.

When I used to sell fish I noticed that most new aquarists did very little research before making purchases, which is great for business. No less, it isn't good for the fish. Now that my selling days are over I try to help fellow aquarists if I can.

MOA

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that there are a lot of stocking theories out there, but, frankly, I do not agree with most of them. The major problem with most common stocking rules is that they are length-based (i.e., the inch-per-gallon rule). Such a measure would only be suitable if fish were one-dimensional, yet they are not. Contrarily, I subscribe to biomass approximations.

MOA

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Biomass approximations are somewhat controversial since they extrapolate and interpolate into areas that most stocking rules were not designed for. Additionally, biomass is rather hard for the average fishkeeper to calculate. Since biomass is controversial and cumbersome, I put it into a spreadsheet application that can do most of the calculations for the aquarist. It is an approximation, of course, but a better one than all of the other stocking rules I have seen.

MOA

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
One very odd part of my stocking programs (FishsheetA7 and FishsheetA6) is that they account for the amount of food that is introduced into the aquarium. I have not seen any stocking programs out there that ask such a question, but experienced aquarists know that the amount one feeds the fish is directly proportional to the net amount of nitrogen-based waste compounds that remain in the water. Therefore, any stocking rule that neglects the feeding schedule is fundamentally flawed.

MOA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts