Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always heard that a Goldfish has a 5 second memory. Is that true with other fish? It doesn't seem like it to me. For example. I have a Blue Gourami who always chases the new fish around in the tank for the first day. If her memory is only 5 seconds, how can it tell the new fish from the fish that have been in there for months?
Any insight?

Wil

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Fish are actually quite intelligent given tasks that fit the situation they are in. I have had people send me videos of the fish they taught to swim obstacle courses and jump through hoops held slightly above the water surface and if the fish had no short term memory, this would be totally impossible to accomplish.

Rose
:)

·
Registered
153 Posts
No. There short term memory may be 5 secconds but there long term must be longer becuse some of my fish swim to the top as soon as I open the lid to feed them. I one taught a molly (died*frown)to swim through a hoop. You can train fish that are over 3 inches. Otherwise there brains are too small.*r2

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Fish have a long term memory, its called natural instinct.

Their brains are too small to do anything as far as memory, however training them to do certain things is residual not intelligent.

Remember, those same dumb fish keep biting the hooks, over and over again.

I am sure any anglers here can safely say they have caught the same fish twice.
In the wild or in a tank they still have their fish instincts.

They also use landmarks to help them "remember" their way, food supplies and safety.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts