Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Larry sent this:
Time Correction: We will depart the 84 Diner at 10:00 AM instead of 9:00 AM as indicated in the previous message. Drivers meet at 9:45 AM rather than 8:45. The barbecue time is still at 2:00PM. The corrected message follows:

This upcoming Saturday, November 29, (the weekend following Thanksgiving) we will be having our GCAS Everglades Fish Roundup and Barbecue. This will be a “competitive” collecting trip in the Everglades. All members and friends are welcome.

We will be leaving the parking lot of the 84 Diner (the strip mall in the south west corner of the intersection of I-595 and Hiatus Road) at 10:00 AM. Drivers should be there no later than 9:45 AM for event details and even earlier if you wish to join us for breakfast.

The occupants of each car will constitute a “team” and will compete for prizes, including gift certificates from some of the local fish stores. We would like to have an “experienced collector” with each team, either in the car or driving together.

Prizes will be awarded in several categories, such as most different species collected, ugliest fish, largest livebearer, etc. Chuck Davis will have more information on the prize categories during the pre departure briefing, and knowing Chuck, it will be very interesting.

We will be given a route of travel with some recommended dip netting locations and other information.

Following the collecting time, we will all meet at 2:00 PM for a barbecue at the picnic area next to the rest stop on the south side of Mile Marker 35 on Alligator Alley. Hamburgers, hot dogs, beverages, etc. (no Thanksgiving leftovers) will be provided by the GCAS. This is planned as a family outing, so family members that do not wish to fish or collect, can join us at 2:00 PM at Mile Marker 35, about 20 minutes west of the I-595/ I-75 intersection.

IMPORTANT: We need a count of folks planning to attend so that we may order the proper amount of food and beverage. Please contact Larry Colvin (contact info removed) if you plan on joining us.

The event should be major fun. We will sacrifice a turkey on the preceding Thursday to insure good weather.

What you need:

A freshwater fishing license is required if you are over 16 and under 65 years old. No license is required for cheering, kibitzing, or giving unsolicited advice.

Wear a sun hat and comfortable clothing that you would not mind getting wet and dirty. (GCAS shirts attract fish) Lace up shoes are preferred, as sandals or flip flops do not do well in mud. Some bottled water may come in handy.

Bring a dip net and a bucket for caught fish. A portable air pump and air stone will help if you are transporting the fish a long distance. (We will have some extra buckets and nets.)

The usual disclaimer applies: The good dip netting locations are also excellent habitats for alligators, snakes, and other various critters. The canal sides can be slippery. Be careful and keep a close eye on children, if you bring them with you.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Larry Colvin

·
Reefer, Plants and Ponds
270 Posts
Gee- sounds like fun. Unfortunatley the drive from Maryland is a tad long, even with the lower gas prices. Enjoy!!

·
Reefer, Plants and Ponds
270 Posts
Thanks Media... I got there and all had a great time/....... Salty weere in MD are you.....we did have a couple drive down from Orlando, FL
Silver Spring, in the DC suburbs.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I know Silver Springs MD I liveing in Glen Burnie Md and went to college at U of M and UMBC. Md was one of the nicest places I lived in.... In high school we us to go to OC, MD almost every weekend and in the summer we go and spend weeks on end there.

·
Reefer, Plants and Ponds
270 Posts
I've lived in a number of places from the east to the west. The two prettiest states I've found are New York and Maryland. Beautiful and green!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts