Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you name some fish that can live with a gar. I would apperate it if you can include websites/tips on care. Also the fish has to arrive arround 7 to 12 inches so that the gar can eat it.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
A shark, but thats saltwater :) just kidding. Gar are a very interesting fish to have and watch, however, youre gonna need a very large tank at some point. My best advice on getting first hand information on the keeping of this ancient fish is to Join NANFA, there are truely experts there on all the ancient native fishes such as birchir, gar, etc. Im personally into natives but the gar is one ive not tried to keep personally. You could also send a PM to rrice , here on AF, who is our resident Native fish expert, and im sure he would be glad to help you out with a boatload of info.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
other big fish of similar origins and are as aggressive as a gar. there are other members here who can be more specific, though;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gar are lazy and aren't really aggressive and when they arn't eating just hand around plants and swim up at the top.

·
aggressive freshwater
17 Posts
i have a 7 inch mosaic gar, he minds his own business. I have a bunch of different fish in there with him including alot smaller fish a spotted puffer, convict, angel fish. he doesnt bother them at all. I feed him feeders also..

·
aggressive freshwater
17 Posts
they never bother each other, I have a flowerhorn red devil oscar and shovel nose in there too. they all actually get along.. never had any mishaps

·
aggressive freshwater
17 Posts
keep in mind the angel and puffer also live with a flowerhorn, red devil, shovel nose cat, and a small mouth bass... the gar is the least id be worried about eatting one of them. if the horrible day ever happens when the puffer or angel are lunch for the gar ill admit u r right. but if it ever does happen, guaranteed its gonna be the shovel nose, the bass or the flowerhorn...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 3 needle nose gars, a rope fish, biker eel, and a clown knife in 1 tank and they don't seem to bother each other

1 - 14 of 14 Posts