#1 ·
Sort of a follow up to "what's wrong in this tank."

I got these pictures earlier of one of my pygmy cories:

Plant Leaf Natural environment Organism Reptile

Plant Leaf Terrestrial plant Organism Grass

Crocodile Water Alligator American crocodile Crocodilia

Plant Botany Leaf Organism Vegetation

Plant Flower Leaf Botany Terrestrial plant

As you can see, its abdomen appears swollen and it looks to me like its eyes are bulging.

I also spotted another early but failed to get a picture of one that seemed to have a deformed spine.

And one of my neon tetras also appears to be having some difficulty swimming and a strangely curved body as well.

I think I might have found the answer to "why are my pygmies so lethargic?"

I have barely been able to find the pygmies in the tank, and at this point I don't know how many remain.

On top of that, a lot of snails and likely all of the shrimp have died.

Does this sound like the tank is infected with Mycobacterium marinum?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I posted all of this information in detail not long ago. Every time I test the water, the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate are all 0. pH is typically around 7.6-7.8, it's hard to tell exactly with the API test.

I do a 20% water change weekly and clean the canister filter about once a month.

EDIT: I decided to go test the parameters right now and got the following results:
  • pH: ~8 (slightly higher than normal, but as I've mentioned, the pH is always pretty high)
  • Ammonia: 0ppm
  • Nitrite: 0ppm
  • Nitrate: 0ppm

#5 · (Edited)
It's been set up for 6 months and having no nitrates is completely normal. The tank is very heavily planted; I have never seen nitrates over 5ppm.

To be clear, I can't say for sure there's literally 0 nitrate, as it's not like I tested on distilled water for comparison. But with the color matching test it's not really possible to get more accurate. I guess I can say it looks like between 0-5ppm, but just by the color, it looks like 0 or very close to 0.

I also run Purigen in my canister.

#7 ·
How are your fish doing? I was doing some reading on Mycobacterium marinum but have no personal experience with this or diagnosis of such.
I imagine you have done your research as well. The treatment recommended is a cycline type product.
Pulling for you 😕

#8 ·
It doesn't feel like there's much I can do besides stay the course and try to keep the water clean, the filter clean, and keep running my UV sterilizer. I'm tentatively optimistic because I feel like I've seen my remaining snails being more active than they have been. Need to do a major plant trim as well... Part of me wants to pull everything out maybe completely replace the substrate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.