Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 29gal reef tank with a mixture of SPS and LPS right now the only fish I have are two ocellaris clown fish. i want to get new fish but truthfully i know next to nothing about salt water fish. I am looking for fish with a bit of a wow factor that are fun to watch. Any ideas?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Stay away from mandarins and dragonets, they need a very well established tank in order to survive and usually starve to death in most tanks.
You could get a small sixline wrasse. They help eat parasites and they are very colorful/cheap. Same for the yellow coris wrasse. A bicolor blenny is also a good option, they eat algae and have a lot of personality once they're settled in. A lot of the smaller gobies are cool too.
Red firefish are nice but they tend to jump (need a tank with a lid) and need to be fed frozen food in order to do well.

Just research the fish you like in order to see what is most compatible in your tank. Tangs are out because most get too big and need a lot of swimming room. Most damsels are pretty aggressive. Anthias need larger, well established tanks. Liveaquaria.com has a nano fish section you can look through.

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had a red fire fish i wish someone would have told me they were jumpers before i let him die
thank you ive been looking though the nano section alot lately

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
6-line wrasses tend to get VERY aggressive. for your tank i suggest a cherub angelfish. they stay very small and are very peaceful. and the colors would compare well with the clowns.

Reactions: JIM

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would go with a wrasse myself. I have always had 6 lines and never had one show any agression except to my yellow watchman goby, they get along well with the clowns, actually pal with the fox face and swim laps with the tangs.
Some of the other wrasses are beautiful when it comes to wow factor.

Angels can be picky eaters and will usually nip at corals. Dragonets are awesome to look at but do not keep well unless you have a huge system with a masive pod population for them to feed on.

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i did get a six line wrasse but my power head decided that it didnt like the wrasse and killed it, so no more fish till i can get this power head taken care of

·
Registered
109 Posts
Phil, Mandarins, both kinds and Scooter Blennys subsist almost exclusively live on copepods, amphipods, mysid shrimp etc., If you have a tank that has a copious amount of these critters with a refugium where they are constantly reproducing then the mandarins and blenny will be very happy and fat. My Scooter Blenny also eats frozen brine shrimp and Cyclopeze - but he is the exception not the rule.

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Phil, Mandarins, both kinds and Scooter Blennys subsist almost exclusively live on copepods, amphipods, mysid shrimp etc., If you have a tank that has a copious amount of these critters with a refugium where they are constantly reproducing then the mandarins and blenny will be very happy and fat. My Scooter Blenny also eats frozen brine shrimp and Cyclopeze - but he is the exception not the rule.
right now i dont have a fuge so i can have a copious amount of copepods so no mandarin yet, i am adding a sump and a fuge as big as the tank soon so i will be working on that then, until then im going to stick with my clowns and get a replacement six line wrasse, is there any way i can boost the number of copepods i have, could i possibly buy some from another hobbyist?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Phil,

When you set up the sump go to your LFS and buy a clump of cheatomorpha macro algae and chances are it will be loaded with "pods". Mysids which are a great food source and reproduce continually are a little harder to find - I bought 100 or so online a couple of years ago and I have thousands of them... Just do a Google search and you'll find them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts