Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing an in-fish cycle on my ten gallon tank with 4 danios. I started the cycle three weeks ago, and had to get a new filter about two weeks ago since the old one killed some fish. I've been testing ammonia twice daily, and for the past two weeks its been in the 1.0-2.0 ppm range. I've been feeding the fish daily, as the ammonia climbs fairly slowly (it takes over a week for it to increase from 1 to 2 ppm). I've been dosing with seachem prime and seachem stability daily, and the pH of the tank is consitently around 7.4. I perform a 50% water change (dechlorinated water) whenever ammonia reaches 2.0 ppm, though I've only needed to do two so far. I've been testing nitrite every couple day, every time I've tested it has been 0. I tested nitrate for the first time today and it was 5.0???? I'm so confused, since I believe when cycling there is typically a spike in ammonia before it decreases and then nitrites increase. I've never experienced an ammonia spike, its just been very slowly increasing over time. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fish in cycle can take 6 to 8 weeks or more. Changing your filter increased that more. Cycling with fish damages the fish to the point of dieing. Load the tank with fast growing plants and silent cycle which would be safer for the fish
yes but I'm still confused why there are nitrates present

1 - 3 of 3 Posts