Aquarium Forum banner

Fish identifying

920 views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  susankat 
#1 ·
I’m sorry it’s not the best quality picture but I was hoping someone could help me out by identifying what type of fish it is

my wife brought it home accidentally from the pet store( the employee mistakenly identified it as a glow light tetra) and it’s wreck havoc on my fish. Tore up my koi betta’s fun and beat up some endless and white cloud minnows

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks,

That was what I thought originally(the female guppy part) but when she was so aggressive with the endlers I figured she must have been something else. Don’t know how she would have been pregnant. She’s been in isolation for a few weeks and I don’t have any other guppies.

#10 ·
So last night I moved my female Molly out of the tank where she’s been hounded by the males to the previously occupied mystery guppy tank. Thought everything would settle down, she’d get a break after birthing babies the night before and I’d give her a vacation until the babies are rehomed. Turns out I was wrong. The 2nd mystery fish (it came with the guppy in the tetra purchase) looks to be a molly(or atleast a fish that likes mating with mollies).

Now that they are in the same tank it definitely looks one but I can’t figure out what kind. He has a silver body with black horizontal stripes. He actually looks like a stripped bass which is why I really kept him around. I did some Google searching but all that came up was Salfin mollies but he doesn’t have the top fin that they had in the picture. He really looks like a stripped bass and Molly had babies. But that seems like a scary thought

#11 ·
Please post some pictures. If you have never done that, what I do is take a pic on my phone then email it to myself, download to my desktop and paste the link here.
Sounds like an adventure for you with Mystery fish. Are you getting them on purpose or is your fish store, errr, inept?
Cheers

#12 · (Edited)
The 2 mystery fish were purchased at the same time by my wife. She went into the LFS right at opening and the fish staff hadn’t come in yet and so she got a cashier to help her and the very young person ended up dipping out 3 glow light tetras and the 2 mystery fish and neither my wife or the staff member noticed that some of the fish weren’t like the others.

I talked to my buddy who worked there in the fish department said they both had come in with ghost shrimp. So I just held onto them and didn’t have any issues until I removed the hornwort that I had growing out of control of the middle of the tank and after I removed it the female guppy went on a bully spree killing my Endlers, nipping the fins on my white cloud minnows and beating up my baby koi Betta. So she had to go.

And on a side note went in and visited my LFS. The female guppy has terrorized the guppy tank and most of the fish in the tank are missing pieces of their fins so I had to point it out to the staff. Not sure where her next stop is

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.