Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My tank has been stocked for 25 days now. It was an adventure as I rejoined the hobby after MANY moons hiatus. And after buying the tank I discovered things have gotten a lot more technical than when I was at it years ago!!

I did a 10% water change about 4 days ago. Readings last night showed 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm Nitrite, and 5 ppm Nitrate. My tank is stocked with 5 tiger barbs, 5 zebra danios (these were the first fish added to the tank) 1 redtail shark, 2 blue gouramis, and 1 pleco. This all adds up to a little over 50 inches of adult fish in a 55 gallon tank (allowing 10 inches for the pleco - he will be rehomed if he gets that big)

Of course I made the mistake of not reading up enough on species prior to buying. So what I am going to do is give away the barbs and danios and stock with 3 angelfish and 3 silver dollars. I would also love to have 2 blue rams

This will result in about 60 inches of adult fish in a 55 gallon tank, comprised of the following:

2 blue rams
2 blue gouramis
3 silver dollars
3 angel fish
1 redtail shark
1 pleco

Is this a suitable combination? If not, any suggestions? I want to definitely keep the silver dollars. My 4-year old daughter wants the angel fish and she says we have to keep Tony the red-tail shark. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions. The tank is kinda low on decor, with just a couple of small plants, a log, sunken castle, and not much more than that. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, and thanks for the response. Why do you think I would need a bigger tank? Is it because of the size of the dollars and angel fish, or because of the total number of fish in the tank, or a combination of both. I could drop the gouramis if necessary. Again, thanks.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
Hey, if you do your water changes weekly and strictly monitor ph and ammonia, you could even double the amount that the tank would normally have..... I don't reccomend it to anyone who doesn't know EXACTLY what their doing...... how big is each fish?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right now the gouramis, barbs, redtail shark, are about 2 inches. The pleco is about 3, and the danios one and a half. As adults they should all total about 60 inches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts