Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so as the title suggests, I'm a complete newbie to having a fish tank. I've wanted to set up a tropical freshwater tank for years now, and only just recently impulse bought a tank on fb marketplace. It's 155 litres, and I got it for $20, which is why of course there is a catch. The back pane of glass is cracked. Very cracked. The previous owner did a DIY repair job and has siliconed both sides of the cracks, and attached vinyl wrap to the outside to help keep it watertight, which is it (tried and tested), however it looks ugly and not what I envisioned for my tank.

The idea I have is to cover it with rocks or decorated styrofoam glued on with a consistent layer of silicone (100% of course). Question is, is that a) going to help prevent any possible leaks and help even out the pressure points on the cracks, and b) be safe for any new fish I put in. I'm only wanting to fill the tank up half way as its going to be set up like a paludarium.

Is this a viable idea, or am I better off just paying for the tank to be repaired? Any advice would be great. TIA!
Water Plant Flower Rectangle Grass

Registered
Hey everyone, so as the title suggests, I'm a complete newbie to having a fish tank. I've wanted to set up a tropical freshwater tank for years now, and only just recently impulse bought a tank on fb marketplace. It's 155 litres, and I got it for $20, which is why of course there is a catch. The back pane of glass is cracked. Very cracked. The previous owner did a DIY repair job and has siliconed both sides of the cracks, and attached vinyl wrap to the outside to help keep it watertight, which is it (tried and tested), however it looks ugly and not what I envisioned for my tank.

The idea I have is to cover it with rocks or decorated styrofoam glued on with a consistent layer of silicone (100% of course). Question is, is that a) going to help prevent any possible leaks and help even out the pressure points on the cracks, and b) be safe for any new fish I put in. I'm only wanting to fill the tank up half way as its going to be set up like a paludarium.

Is this a viable idea, or am I better off just paying for the tank to be repaired? Any advice would be great. TIA! View attachment 32175
Hi!馃槂 I'm The Fish Lady!
Why don't you just get it repaired then you know for a fact that it will work for you, hon? 馃槂
Interesting...hmmm... I never went through with something like this and it would be interesting to follow you through this situation to learn from it...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi!馃槂 I'm The Fish Lady!
Why don't you just get it repaired then you know for a fact that it will work for you, hon? 馃槂
Interesting...hmmm... I never went through with something like this and it would be interesting to follow you through this situation to learn from it...
Hey, thanks for the reply!

The reason I'm tossing them up is because it would be cheaper to get the same size tank, with lights and a stand included, then getting it professionally repaired . My original vision for this tank was frogs to be honest, but I fell in love with khuli loaches and this really beautiful catfish at the local aquatics shop. I'm wanting to set this up as a live tank as well so I'm not so worried about the fish immediately as I want to get the tank itself sorted first, which will obviously take a few months. Do I just stick with my original vision for the tank and buy a new one for the fish???

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thanks for the reply!

The reason I'm tossing them up is because it would be cheaper to get the same size tank, with lights and a stand included, then getting it professionally repaired . My original vision for this tank was frogs to be honest, but I fell in love with khuli loaches and this really beautiful catfish at the local aquatics shop. I'm wanting to set this up as a live tank as well so I'm not so worried about the fish immediately as I want to get the tank itself sorted first, which will obviously take a few months. Do I just stick with my original vision for the tank and buy a new one for the fish???
nevermind, buying a new tank, this is going to be fun, thank you!

Registered
nevermind, buying a new tank, this is going to be fun, thank you!
Hi, again!馃槂
I think that you should do what you want to, my fish buddy! It's your exciting experience!馃槂
Omg!! We have frogs and black khulis and Harry, our catfish! Omg! How exciting!馃槂
I want to see pictures! Wow!
We call our Black Khulis, "The Twins". They're like over 10 "long! I can pet them when it's feeding time and when you clean their habitat, they will actually nibble on you! Omg!
And, Harry! He's like 6" now and had him for almost a year now and he has sooooooooooo much character and loves his terra plates that I made as caves for him to hide in and then there's Kermit and Miss Piggy our aquatic frogs!
You are going to have a blast, hon, you really are!馃槂
They're all very compatible and easy to take care of!馃槂
I'm excited for you! I love it!馃槂馃槂

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, again!馃槂
I think that you should do what you want to, my fish buddy! It's your exciting experience!馃槂
Omg!! We have frogs and black khulis and Harry, our catfish! Omg! How exciting!馃槂
I want to see pictures! Wow!
We call our Black Khulis, "The Twins". They're like over 10 "long! I can pet them when it's feeding time and when you clean their habitat, they will actually nibble on you! Omg!
And, Harry! He's like 6" now and had him for almost a year now and he has sooooooooooo much character and loves his terra plates that I made as caves for him to hide in and then there's Kermit and Miss Piggy our aquatic frogs!
You are going to have a blast, hon, you really are!馃槂
They're all very compatible and easy to take care of!馃槂
I'm excited for you! I love it!馃槂馃槂
AHHHHH this is making me not sleep, I keep thinking of ideas on how I'm going to decorate each tank, and what plants I should get and types of fish. I'm in New Zealand so my options are a bit limited when it comes to species (especially frogs, but gold and green southern bell frogs are beautiful anyways), but as I said earlier, I fell in love with khuli loaches! Will definitely share photos of my journey and keep asking for tips as I go. Thanks a bunch!!!!

Registered
AHHHHH this is making me not sleep, I keep thinking of ideas on how I'm going to decorate each tank, and what plants I should get and types of fish. I'm in New Zealand so my options are a bit limited when it comes to species (especially frogs, but gold and green southern bell frogs are beautiful anyways), but as I said earlier, I fell in love with khuli loaches! Will definitely share photos of my journey and keep asking for tips as I go. Thanks a bunch!!!!
Omgggggggg!! My 6 aquariums have been set up for over a year; right? Anddd, I STILL do this!馃槂馃槂 staying awake thinking about "how" I'm going to decorate them when I grow tired of them! We've actually gone out hiking and found stumps, limbs from trees and rocks! I'm serious.
We're like sooo much a like, hon! I love it!馃槂
You are limited there? Why?
Maybe you should just ordered things online. I'm bad about this because I drive my husband crazy for I pretty much do most of the babies'things this way, myself!馃槀馃槀
I can't wait to see your pictures, fish buddy!馃槂

Registered
Try it after 40 years.
Hi there!馃槂 馃槀馃槀馃槀馃槀鈽衡樅馃槀 yeah, I drive my hubby crazy!! I'm always trying to strive harder and harder to get better, do better!馃槀馃槀馃槀
We love our babies and they're like our family!
We joke (now that we're much, much older), of how we should have found this certain hobby years ago and never had children!馃槀馃槀馃槀

Registered
At one time I had 62 tanks running. Ranging from15 gal to 220 gal. I was breeding plecos, catfish, wild bettas, angles and cichlids. since I had a stroke I have downsizes to 3 shrimp tanks.
Hi again! 馃槂
I'm sooo sorry, geez...
What did you do with them all?
At least you're enjoying something of them, but, it still isn't the same, though... I understand...heart breaking because no doubt you gave them a lot of love and were in love...smh...sad...馃槩馃槩馃槩
Are you enjoying shrimp habitats? I bet you are...馃槂馃槂

Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
I sold most, some I gave away. Did a lot of shipping. Yes I am enjoying the shrimps.I have a 20 gal skittles tank that has yellow,crystal reds, crystal blacks, panda, blue bolts. A 5gal with blue dreams and a 5 gal with red cherries

Registered
I sold most, some I gave away. Did a lot of shipping. Yes I am enjoying the shrimps.I have a 20 gal skittles tank that has yellow,crystal reds, crystal blacks, panda, blue bolts. A 5gal with blue dreams and a 5 gal with red cherries
Neato!!!馃槂
Is it really difficult from fish though?
I bet!
Boy, I sure wish that I'd been around when you were "cleaning house"! Darn, it figures; you know? Because you really seem to have your head in our game; sort of speaking!馃槀馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Omgggggggg!! My 6 aquariums have been set up for over a year; right? Anddd, I STILL do this!馃槂馃槂 staying awake thinking about "how" I'm going to decorate them when I grow tired of them! We've actually gone out hiking and found stumps, limbs from trees and rocks! I'm serious.
We're like sooo much a like, hon! I love it!馃槂
You are limited there? Why?
Maybe you should just ordered things online. I'm bad about this because I drive my husband crazy for I pretty much do most of the babies'things this way, myself!馃槀馃槀
I can't wait to see your pictures, fish buddy!馃槂
Glad to hear this won鈥檛 go anywhere then 馃槀! When it comes to frogs in NZ we can only have two different species- the whistling tree frog and the green and gold bell frog. Bit sad since I would absolutely love one of those exotic tree frogs, but I love the ones we can get all the same.

Fish on the other hand aren鈥檛 as restricted, and there are so many available! I keep looking at aquatic shops and finding new fish that look incredible, it鈥檚 a problem 馃槄. I have to keep in mind that I鈥檓 limited by my tank size as I want any fish I get to have the best set up and not be cramped as they grow. (Rip getting ghost knives, they grow too big 馃槶)

Registered
Glad to hear this won鈥檛 go anywhere then 馃槀! When it comes to frogs in NZ we can only have two different species- the whistling tree frog and the green and gold bell frog. Bit sad since I would absolutely love one of those exotic tree frogs, but I love the ones we can get all the same.

Fish on the other hand aren鈥檛 as restricted, and there are so many available! I keep looking at aquatic shops and finding new fish that look incredible, it鈥檚 a problem 馃槄. I have to keep in mind that I鈥檓 limited by my tank size as I want any fish I get to have the best set up and not be cramped as they grow. (Rip getting ghost knives, they grow too big 馃槶)
Hi! What a bummer; at?
I actually had a Black Knife fish just a little while ago since he was a little baby, named Dawg. He was sooo frickin neato! He actually looked like a little puppy; I'm dead serious. We had a severe nitrate spike a while back that expired around 13 babies and, unfortunately, he was one of them. .馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶 we sure did love that little guy, though.
We're having issues with our local pet stores with 1. Getting healthy fish in and 2. Getting anything on the exotic side in stock. Ughhh...馃槪馃槪 sooo, I order online a lot and I just haven't gotten around to ordering another one yet... I sigh...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi! What a bummer; at?
I actually had a Black Knife fish just a little while ago since he was a little baby, named Dawg. He was sooo frickin neato! He actually looked like a little puppy; I'm dead serious. We had a severe nitrate spike a while back that expired around 13 babies and, unfortunately, he was one of them. .馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶 we sure did love that little guy, though.
We're having issues with our local pet stores with 1. Getting healthy fish in and 2. Getting anything on the exotic side in stock. Ughhh...馃槪馃槪 sooo, I order online a lot and I just haven't gotten around to ordering another one yet... I sigh...
That sucks to hear! Hope suppliers shake it up soon for you! Ngl I鈥檓 dreading anything like that happening, I know some people say they鈥檙e 鈥榡ust fish鈥, but I鈥檝e found that if you take some time with them, they form there own personalities and can be very playful. Sounds like you鈥檙e one of those people which is awesome.

Registered
That sucks to hear! Hope suppliers shake it up soon for you! Ngl I鈥檓 dreading anything like that happening, I know some people say they鈥檙e 鈥榡ust fish鈥, but I鈥檝e found that if you take some time with them, they form there own personalities and can be very playful. Sounds like you鈥檙e one of those people which is awesome.
Hi, again!馃槂
Ooohhh, yes!馃槂 they are all our babies! Like with my large, black kuhli? We call him Abbott, he's like 10" long and has these adorable thingies on his mouth and he'll allow me to pet him when it's feeding time and as we're cleaning the aquarium, he'll come up to your fore arm and like nibble on you; it doesn't hurt, though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts