Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a firemout cichlid and he makes me very angry. So many on the internet say that they are a rather peaceful cichlid so i decide to get two. One killed the other when they were still little babies maybe an inch long. Still about the same size i have this firemouth in a 46 gallon bowfront. Also in this tank are a small green severum maybe a little bigger and certainly taller and a small pacu. Don't ask about the pacu I am houseing him for a little while hes the largest at about two inches. The pacu gets destroyed by my firemouth and the green severum is not so bothered but what should i do with this firemouth am i going to have to keep him alone 46 gallons all to himself??????!!!!!!! I see people on youtube with very successful tanks around my size or 55 gallons with quite a few cichlids and nobody hurts eachother are they just lucky as anything or doing something different?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Maybe the male has some hormone coming and it's making him being majorly aggressive xD happens all the time with animals during mating season. My male blue gourami goes crazy for a while, but then it calms down after and my fishes just loose a few scales, and the finds are a little bit ripped. But I always add in aquarium salt, and I always add in stress medicine. So it's helpful for me.

I agree with the other person who posted. that your severum will probably be next. I have known that severums will fight back if any other fish picks on them. And mine always fights back.

I know that fire mouth cichlids are aggressive especially during mating season. Especially in male fishes. Although you can always try and put him/her in a different tank and then put it back into your tank with the severums. That may help.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya but for now i just removed the pacu....the severum and the firemouth have lived together in harmony for a month now so i am starting to believe it was the pacu although after the firemouth killed the other one it started attacking my smallest severum but it has never shown signs of aggression towards my larger severum who is a little bit longer and taller that the firemouth

·
Registered
285 Posts
ya but for now i just removed the pacu....the severum and the firemouth have lived together in harmony for a month now so i am starting to believe it was the pacu although after the firemouth killed the other one it started attacking my smallest severum but it has never shown signs of aggression towards my larger severum who is a little bit longer and taller that the firemouth
Oh that is good :) but you should probably take out the small severum then. Otherwise you might find out that your small severum will be very stressed, and probably die.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh that is good :) but you should probably take out the small severum then. Otherwise you might find out that your small severum will be very stressed, and probably die.
i dont need to take out the small severum cause its in its own ten gallon its less than inch and the firemouth and the larger severum are now alone in the 46 gallon

·
Registered
285 Posts
i dont need to take out the small severum cause its in its own ten gallon its less than inch and the firemouth and the larger severum are now alone in the 46 gallon
Ah I see. So how big is your smallest severum? Mine is about 2-3" from nose to tail. It is growing nicely, but it will take about a month until it reaches 4-6"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts