Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I would like to try raising an eel, preferably a saltwater eel (Anago, or japonica), but I would be happy if anyone had any advice about how to obtain a saltwater or freshwater (unagi) eel. The only way I can find them is in sushi restaurants, usually brought in from Chinese farms where they've been cut up and frozen.

I would also greatly appreciate any advice on fish that would help me start acquiring the skills for eels, while I figure out where I can purchase a live one. (Catfish...?)

Thank for your patience, I only just started reading technical books about eels.

-James

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
welcome! id rather leve food-raised fish as food pet fish as pets, but its really your choice, there are alot of clorful morey eels and spiny eels.

Reactions: Joey

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. To clarify, I am looking for an alive saltwater or freshwater eel to keep as a pet (never intend to eat it).

Specifically I would like to find Conger myriaster (1st choice), or Anguilla japonicus. And I'll be happy settling with anything similar.

Would someone please recommend where else I can post this request? Like the saltwater/freshwater forums (Just saw the brackish water forum! :)).

I've called all around LA, and couldn't find them. I was going to try the fish markets to see which ports fisherman are using around hear.

One shop warned, eel varieties used for food might be banned as pets... Anywhere you can check this sort of legal stuff?

Thanks Again!!!

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Welcome and hope you enjoy the forum.

Rose

1 - 8 of 8 Posts